iMac g3 speakers not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrfixit197, Nov 6, 2009.

1. mrfixit197 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone at MacRumors, first I just wanted to say hello. I have just aquired a slot loading iMac g3. It is a blueberry model, with a 350 MHz g3, and 512 megs of ram. Not that that matters. Anyway, it seems to have been dropped and has a crack above the crt. The speakers also do not work. I plugged in a pair of speakers in both of the headphone jacks. Nothing. The audio port. Nothing. I checked the volume, and it was at full blast. Not even a peep from the speakers. The sound area in the system preferences did not have an option for internal speakers, it was just greyed out with headphones as the selection. By the way, it is running Tiger. I opened it up, and everything is connected. I took the logic board off, and everything is fine. I put it back together and booted it up and... NOTHING..... What could be going wrong?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. mrfixit197 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I started up and held down the programmer's button. I did get a long tone, and it sounded like it was coming from the iMac's built-in harmon-kardon's. I still do not get an option to select the internal speakers. No bong on startup either....

3. mrfixit197 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I reinstalled os x, would that possibly fix it?????

4. mrfixit197 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again, the only sound I can get out of it is if I hold the programmer's button during startup, I get a long "BLOOOP". Also, if I plug some headphones in the left headphone jack part way and hold it still, I can get some sound. Just in that exact one position though. It detects the speakers in the system profiler, but won't let me select them as a sound option. Please help, as I cannot wait to hear some music out of these Hardon-Karmon's in it!

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You sure have a lot of "My iMac G3 is not working" threads and posts to have a username like "mrfixit"

It doesn't sounds like a software problem to me - the cracked case kind of confirms that. I don't think there's any reasonable way of fixing it.