iMac G3 Tiger install problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Applepi, May 23, 2008.

1. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

I'm trying to install tiger on my iMac G3 and after I boot from disk, I get the apple logo and choose my language. And before it gets to the installation, there is a warning that reads "Alert: The software cannot be installed on this computer" and there are options for restart and startup disk.

Would anyone happen to know what is occuring and how I can go about installing Tiger? It would be much appreciated.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

2 things could be causing this. First, the firmware must be up to date. For tray loaders, it must have firmware update 1.2 installed (if you previously had OS 9 or higher on there, you should be good). For slot loaders, you must have firmware 4.1.9 installed.

The other thing which could be happening is that this isn't a retail disk. if you are trying to install from a disk that came from another machine, the software lacks the drivers needed for this machine, and its also a violation of the EULA and is an illegal install.

3. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

uhm if u want tiger and its the grey discs if u have another mac and a firewire cord then u can firewire them up and put the imac into target mode and install tiger on it using target mode very simple

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

This is bad advice. Refer to Strider42's post as this is good advice.

If you try to install via target mode as MacHappytjg posted, when the install is finished and your iMac tries to boot, it may not be bootable either do to the firmware not supporting the OS or you are missing the correct enablers for your Mac platform type (if you are using installer DVDs from another machine).

If you have the retail copy of Tiger, it just may be an incompatible firmware or your machine specs (processor speed) may not meet the minimum requirements. It would help if you post your processor information.

5. tomthedude macrumors member

tomthedude

Yep, one of the main problems people face when installing an OS is the disk isnt a retail one. Was it burned from another location? does your G3 meet the specs?
    -Tom-

6. willwynnemorgan macrumors newbie

willwynnemorgan

It maybe because the iMac G3's dont have the good enough specifications as the new iMacs.
    They only have something like a 0.7GHz processor and a 128Mb RAM and only 10Gb of hardrive.
    so the answer to your question is either check your specifications or update your imac G3.

7. tomthedude macrumors member

tomthedude

Will, I guess this shows good minds think alike, eh? And I wouldnt say the G3's spects were that low. lol.
    -Tom-

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

u can install tiger on 10gb of space and use 128 but itll be slow and not have much space to do much