iMac G3 Update?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jr. Pac, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Jr. Pac macrumors member

I just picked up a complete, MINT and I mean MINT Bondi Blue iMac G3 off of the local CL for $10.

However, it is currently running OS 8.6. I have the 3 disks to update it to 10.3 Panther, however I've never dealt with software on a Mac. Is it possible to just do a straight clean restore to 10.3? I don't need any files to be saved or anything.

I additionally have the disk for 8.6. Should in the future I wish to, I can just boot to the install disk and install 8.6 again. Correct?

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Make sure you apply the iMac Firmware Update 1.2 before you install Mac OS X.

3. Jr. Pac, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

Jr. Pac thread starter macrumors member

iMac G3 Update?

Can't seem to install it. Attempting to install the update directly from the executable file brings an error that it is already up to date.

Any other way?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I would wager it's probably already up to date then?

6. Jr. Pac thread starter macrumors member

Well, obviously. I figured as some other updates I was fairly certain it did not have installed provided the same error.

Regardless, I managed to find some time and attempted to install Panther today and it succeeded. Works pretty well. In fact, I am posting from the computer in question.

Thanks guys.