Imac g3 upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by t4dude, Dec 17, 2008.

1. t4dude macrumors newbie

Hi I just got out my old imac g3 last night after it sitting in the closet for 6 years. It turned right on but i lost my keyboard so i couldnt really do much. I have no clue with anything when it comes to computers and to me this thing is just ancient. Is there a way to bring it up to speed with things today? Any help about anything would help me i tried googling stuff and if i found something that looked important i didnt understand it. Pretty much i just need it for internet and i would like photoshop and to be able to play dvds. (i own a custom car shop) so if there is buisness apps or anythign of the sort i could use please tell me. Also i have verizon highspeed internet is that compatible with this?

2. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

First thing you should do is add more RAM. The G3 can take up to 1G. You can get two 512 MB cards for less than $100 (and maybe much less) on the internet from Newegg or other seller. Then load OS X Tiger (10.4). This is what I did and my Graphite G3 works very well on the commonly used applications that are compatible with OS X. I will be buying a new iMac next year, but really don't need it as the G3 meets all of my needs. The one downside is that the 400 mhz processor is too slow to view uTube videos without some choppiness. Other than that, works great. Have fun.

3. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Tell us your G3 specs and then we can be more specific in advising you.

There were 6 issues of the G3 from Jan 1999 to July 2001, and significant improvements were made. So, if you have a '99 tray loading G3 then it's not really worth upgrading. If however you have a '01 model (600 or 700 MHz) slot-loading iMac, then there are several encouraging possibilities.

4. t4dude thread starter macrumors newbie

Im not sure what it is. I believe its a 1999. I dont have the books or anything on it. Its green:confused: haha i know that. it has the front load cd player. is there anything i should look for on the computer that would help? I just looked at the stick on the computer and it says 8/26/98 Power pc g3 233MHz/512k cache 32mg, 4GB HD/ 24x CDrom/modem..... I have no clue what this means hope it helps

5. Shownarou macrumors regular

6. t4dude thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Shownarou macrumors regular

Oh, I didn't see your post before mine. A 233mhz iMac g3 really isn't going to do much for you. You may be able to do some internet searching? No videos, definitely not dvd's, and I honestly wouldn't try photoshop on that machine. Sorry. :( Might be time to invest in a newer machine, If you could find an eMac or iMac g4 1ghz+ for a decent price it would be much better suited to your needs.

8. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Green and 233 is the Rev C G3 iMac. It will take only 512 Mb RAM, limited hard drive capacity, no wireless or firewire capability, USB1 only, and the tray loading CD drive caused problems. As Shownarou suggests, it isn't going to do anything quickly. OS X, even Panther, would slow it terribly, so OS 9 would be your only realistic choice. Quite frankly, it would drive you spare trying to do anything requiring grunt and speed.

When I was shopping for a used iMac (I can only afford used stuff), I waited for months to get a 600 or 700 MHz model. Even that can struggle at times with video or processor-hungry applications.

The advice about a G4 computer is sound.

9. t4dude thread starter macrumors newbie

Eh:mad: that sucks its alright I have a hp laptop and the gateway im on right now. I just always liked that computer but i guess its out dated. If i buy the new imac how would that compare to a pc?:D cant computers be like cars and i can just through the internals off the new mac in it?