iMac G3 Upgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by arthursiew, Dec 22, 2008.

1. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

I have a 333MHz iMac G3 and I was wondering whether it can run any Mac OS X (10.2, 3 or 4). Is it possible to dual boot OS 8.6 and OS 10.2 or 3 or 4? What do I need to upgrade?

Thanks!

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It might be able to run 10.4, if it has a firewire port. Otherwise, the max it can take is 10.3

I would max out the RAM, and put in a bigger hard drive. Do that, and you should have a nice little iMac. :)

I don't know much about dual booting, but I'd say what you're asking could be done.

3. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Thanks for the quick response. Are there any guides on upgrading the RAM and HD?

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hard drive is fairly difficult and moderately dangerous, RAM is just a coin and a door away.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

What he ^^ said. The RAM is easy to get to, nothing special to know. But, the hard drive is much more difficult. If I remember correctly, you gotta do something concerning disconnecting the CRT or something, which can be dangerous and potentially deadly due to the large amount of electricity stored in the CRT. I would definitely look up some online guides for that.

6. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

"Time's up" :cool:

*Smells MacBook* :D

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Max out the RAM in the iMac - 512MB is the limit. 512MB (2 x 256MB) from www.datamem.com for $58 or you could probably get the RAM cheaper used on eBay. :)

As far as the OS goes, you can duel boot. I would probably install Mac OS X 10.3.9 - I am not sure how well Tiger would run on a 333MHz iMac G3. :)

8. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

My HD is only 6GB... is that enough?

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, 10.3 on my iBook clamshell is about 2 GB in size, so I guess if you don't need a whole lot of storage, it would work.

10. dpmusic macrumors newbie

Honestly, I'd just recommend dumping it and upgrading to a new computer. You may be able to make something work with what you've got, but I don't feel that it'd be worth the cost or hassle to fix up.

:) hope this helps!

11. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That may be enough space to install two versions of Mac OS, but it will not leave a whole lot of room for your applications/files as Cassie has pointed out.

12. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

You could get external USB/Firewire drive for the unit. That would allow you to get large hard drive with out opening it.

Hugh

13. rfruth macrumors regular

rfruth

14. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good point, plus you could always use the external HDD with your next Mac. :)

15. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

Personally I would just find a nice eMac on craigslist or E-bay instead of buying ram and risking your life to change the HDD. eMacs are super cheap and have no problem running tiger

16. arthursiew thread starter macrumors 6502

arthursiew

That's a great idea. I will just upgrade the RAM, but I will need to find a networked hard drive then. Does anyone have a recommendation on a networked hard drive (example: Time Capsule). I don't want Time Capsule, because it uses Airport and my wireless is just a normal netgear.

17. max¥¥ macrumors 6502a

it can use 10.2 or 10.3, the ram and hdd is very easy to upgrade, the hdd is under the cd drive, did both to my 333mhz imac g3

18. California macrumors 68040

California

I've done it. And I believe on the non firewire iMacs, the ram is not easy to upgrade either. It takes laptop ram.

But do it. Those machines last forever and if it does die, you just take out the ram and hard drive and move on.

19. fohawk17 macrumors regular

fohawk17

i dont know what those other people are talking about, the hdd is easy to change. just take the back panel off. unplug and unscrew all the cords plugged in under it, and slide out the board. the hdd is under the cd drive

20. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

The people who say changing the HD out is too hard are the people who have A) Never done it themselves, or B) have a hard time turning a screwdriver.