iMac G3 Upgrades.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davidx385, Dec 28, 2009.

1. davidx385 macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone, I just got a "new" iMac G3 and I was wondering if any of you know how to upgrade to HDD and RAM.
    Specs:
    PowerPC G3 350MHz
    160 mb RAM
    6 gb. HDD
    Mac Os 9.1
    Thanks in Advance!:apple:

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Google around for a service manual for that model. The upgrades you want to make require "pulling the guts" out of the iMac.

I'll tell you from experience that upgrading the RAM and hard drive on that G3 iMac is not trivial, and is probably more trouble (and money) than it's worth.

They make great fish tanks though. :D

3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Ok,

I agree that its probobally not worth it but if you want to this is what to do.

Ram: Flip it over and there will be a panel with a little plastic screw to turn. and lift the cover and theres the ram.

Hd:

Remove the bottom plastic cover off the imac. There will be some sort of metal cage so you should remove. Once thats off look at the tom of the imac and you should see the hd being held in by a cage in the front. Unplug the ribbon cabe and molex for power. Unscrew the hd and put a new one in. the repeat the steps opposite.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

The RAM on that version of the G3 Imac is pretty easy to replace and would be worth doing. I had the 400 G3 Imac and found the extra RAM to be well worth it in terms of performance.

I tend to think that it's not worth the money to get a new internal drive.

5. three macrumors 6502a

three

10.3 runs great on the 350MHz G3, install that once you get more RAM.

6. g3imacboy macrumors newbie

just got a imac g3 400 mhz slot loader

dont know if this is the proper place to post this... but i just got my first mac its a g3 400 mhz processor with 256 ram its running os x 10.3.9 perfectally and suprisingly as fast if not faster than my p4 compaq running win xp. have to say so far i love it and hope to aquire more macs soon:apple:

7. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Congratz :)

8. scraw macrumors newbie

iMac G3 Upgrade

I picked up a 500mhz G3 while visiting a friend. I love it. It's my first Mac. It was very easy to upgrade the ram (as was described) to 2 Gb. I also replaced the 10 gb HD with a 80 GB that I had laying around and installed OSX 10.4. I have added an external LaCie DVD and use a Microsoft laptop optical USB mouse. This system runs as well as my PC and is much more stable. There still are lots of applications that can be found for it. It easily networked with my Windows 7 machine, my Linux machine and an WinXP box. All of my scanners and printers work with it too. Good Luck, I think you will enjoy it.

9. g3imacboy macrumors newbie

i enjoy my g3 imac quite a bit ordered ram from crucial today for it upgrading it to 1 gb from 256mb might actually fly off the desk but how much of a pain is it to swap out hard drives on my compaq its really simple but the g3 imac is a all in one unit and just wonder if it is too much of a pain to do its a g3 400mhz with 256mb ram now soon to be 1 gb running panther 10.3.9 :apple: