iMac G3 Web Server

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Daniël Oosterhuis, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Well, here's something you don't see everyday: an iMac G3 being used as a server.
    I've recently toyed with the idea of using an iMac G3 as a webserver, as I do own a domain (and have a site archived from when it ran on my RPi, but it was an older model that didn't have enough RAM for MySQL), but I don't want to run my main site on it. So I came up with the idea to make a site all about the colour G3 era of Apple, World of G3. Currently it has only got a home page, but that will be changed in the near future. The iMac G3 used is a 500MHz Graphite DV model with 512MB of RAM. It has some yellowing and a shimmering CRT (the letters tend to dance a bit in the CLI), so I don't care too much about it (I have a neater Graphite 600MHz), and I don't care enough to find a way to totally turn the CRT off (there's no video but it won't shut off). I'm probably going to install a fan since the CRT kicks off a ton of heat. This unit was bought as a parts unit, so again, if it dies, it dies. The site is now on a free domain, but might move to a sub-port of my main domain if my site goes up again. Best way would be to find a way to handle requests on the RPi and send them to the right server depending on requested domain, but I'll have to figure that out first. But without further ado, the address is http://imacg3.mooo.com:81/

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Nice work, actually hosting it on an iMac G3 definitely adds to the authenticity.

3. abundantmussel macrumors member

abundantmussel

You can use haproxy to divert traffic for different domains to different web servers. Install haproxy on RPI and point the domains at its IP. Then setup the haproxy config with the domain names and which servers they should go to. I can help with the config if you get stuck I do this kind of stuff for a living.

4. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton