iMac g3 will not boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrfixit197, Nov 7, 2009.

1. mrfixit197 macrumors newbie

My iMac g3 was working fine. I went into the startup disk options, and chose os 9 to be my startup disk, and then I restarted. Now, it shows a floppy disk and a question mark. What keys should I hold down on boot up to get a boot menu, so I can get into OS X and change my startup disk? It doesn't have to be a bootloader, just a way to get into OS X to fix it...

2. celticpride678

3. mrfixit197 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. celticpride678

Alt key.

5. mrfixit197 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. mrfixit197 thread starter macrumors newbie

I finally got myself an adapter to adapt my ps2 keyboard to usb, along with a different ps2 mouse laying around, since the on screen keyboard was making me crazy, before I couldn't boot anymore. I held down alt like everyone said, and it still gave me the floppy with the ? mark. I went into the open firmware to see if it was giving input, and sure enough, it was... What am I doing wrong? What else can I do??

7. mrfixit197 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. mrfixit197 thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it into my local apple reseller. They could not get it to go with the alt key, although they did get the menu to pop up. We booted from an os 10.3 disk, and went into the startup disk options, and fixed it. It works now! I am actually typing this response on it right now. Please check out my speaker problem post, as I cannot get the speakers to give a peep...