Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=380061287910

Looks like a decent deal... It's for an iMac G3 Tray-loading, so there's no slot for an Airport card. Please don't go flaming me about spending money on an old iMac, I got a good deal on it, and haven't put a dime into it yet. The only things it needs(now that it has an 80gb HD) is a 512 stick of ram and wireless internet.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Anybody know what kind of software it uses? Or does it function through the normal Airport software in the top menu bar?.

Thanks!

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
It probably won't work well with USB 1.1. You'll probably only get 803.11b out of it.
But I did have an 500 G3 iBook with a USB dongle and Tiger. The USB ran off of it's own software that showed up in apps and System Preferences.
I can't remember which flavor it was, but it wasn't the dead D Link that's sitting in my spares bin. Might have been a Belkin.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
I don't know the policy on bumping here, but does anyone have any input on this?

I'm sure everyone here would tell you not to invest in a G3 iMac. But if you really must, stay away from the tray loaders, and only consider getting a slot loader. The trays are MUCH slower, and are very limited in what you can stick in there.

At the very least, the slot loaders take normal PC100/133 DIMMS and you can bump it up to 1gb. The tray loaders take laptop ram and are limited in sizes.

ddeadserious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
Plymouth, MI
Thanks for the responses guy, I suppose I'll just pick it up and see how it works.

Or do they make a wireless thing that goes into the ethernet port(this thing is kind of lacking on USB ports).

I already have the computer, and it's for my girlfriend for basic word processing and internet things. The color is alot more important than performance to her, lime slot-loading ones are hard to find. I picked it up for $30, installed an 80GB WD HD I had lying around, and ordered a stick of 512 ram for it for like $30, and then I just need an internet solution for her.

She wants a lime iBook G3, so if I do find a slot-loading iMac, the ram isn't useless to me regardless.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Thanks for the responses guy, I suppose I'll just pick it up and see how it works.

Or do they make a wireless thing that goes into the ethernet port(this thing is kind of lacking on USB ports).

I already have the computer, and it's for my girlfriend for basic word processing and internet things. The color is alot more important than performance to her, lime slot-loading ones are hard to find. I picked it up for $30, installed an 80GB WD HD I had lying around, and ordered a stick of 512 ram for it for like $30, and then I just need an internet solution for her.

She wants a lime iBook G3, so if I do find a slot-loading iMac, the ram isn't useless to me regardless.

The ethernet based wireless adaptors do existand work great. nice thing is that they don't require any drivers to work, so no additional software. I used linksys's one for years and it was awesome (its called the WET54), belkin, dlink and macsense also all make such adaptors (or did, can't swear they all still do)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.