iMac G3 wireless speed is slow

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by wbgordon, Jul 9, 2009.

1. wbgordon macrumors newbie

The iMac G3 is a 2002 model, has a 600 mghz processor and 1 GB RAM. It does not have an AirPort wireless card and Apple no longer manufacturers an AirPort card for this machine (which I bought used), so I bought a USB wireless adapter that appears to pick up a pretty strong signal from my Verizon FiOS router, strongest of course when parked next to the router. Unfortunately, I am only able to generate 3.5-4.2 mbps download speed no matter how close I am to the router, whereas the machine can consistently download at 12-15 mbps with a direct ethernet connection. The FiOS router can download at speeds in excess of 20 mbps.

Is there some setting I'm overlooking that can improve the wireless connection speed or am I going to have to settle for wired use only?

2. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

This looks like a limitation of the USB port; remember, the iMac G3 only ever had USB 1.1, which is horribly slow by today's standards. I would either hunt around for an AirPort card for the bugger (they're all over eBay and used Mac resellers), or just settle for another wire coming out the little door.

3. wbgordon thread starter macrumors newbie

The USB port ... I hadn't considered that ... but unfortunately it's too late to delve into that. It's an old computer. I'm having Verizon come out next week to install an R45 jack (ethernet) next to the machine.

4. auto123 macrumors member

auto123

is it a realtek dongle (that's what I used)

after i replaced my g3 with my new free d530 the dongle runs significantly faster, however the imac still had a downspeed of 5.6 mbps like the rest of the computers in my house.

maybe it's just slow because of the old cpu and such,
    -Tyler

5. wbgordon thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume you asking about the USB port. If so, good question. Not sure, but can they be upgraded?

After messing around with the machine today, I started thinking the thing that's most deficient about this eight-year-old relic is the video card. But I understand you cannot upgrade it.

6. Doctor Doom macrumors member

i use an "n" airport express connected through ethernet to my g3 imac. That will get you "n" speed wifi.:cool:

7. wagonmonger macrumors newbie

Which Eternet->Airport dongle?

I have a similar problem: Want to get "n" wifi speeds on an G3 400 Mhz (slot-loading). Can you recommend a specfic product?

TIA >>> Robert

8. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^Your dongle WiFi speed would be limited by the USB 1.1 ports on the machine (12 Mbit/s) which is miles slower then 'n'. You can't upgrade these and even if you could track down the old 'b' Airport card it would be slower (11 Mbit/s) then USB. Ethernet's the only way to get good speeds.

9. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68