iMac G3 with a Problematic CRT

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ComputerWizKid, Nov 16, 2007.

1. ComputerWizKid macrumors newbie

First of all here are are the Specs on it
    Specs:
    Blueberry Colored
    iMac DV
    PowerPC G3 400 MHZ
    MAC OS 9.1
    10GB HDD
    512MB SD-RAM
    10/100 NIC
    56K Modem
    4 X Slot load DVD-ROM Drive
    two USB Ports
    USB Keyboard/Hockey Puck mouse (Which I hate luckily any USB Mouse will work)
    External VGA Port

It was given to me because the built in CRT came on purple every other start up Now it will not come on at all even though I can still hear the loud noise from the Degauss cable and the Power Supply and I feel the tube still throwing off alot of heat like a CRT does. I can get a picture on an external monitor as a mirror but not as a main monitor. So three questions is it safe to use this way with an external monitor and the built in CRT still attached? and how would I go about disconnecting the Built in CRT?, is there any way to fix this? Currently the HDD is blank as thats the way it was given to me but I was also given the restore DVD of OSX 10.4 from another Mac. Thanks

2. ale500 macrumors regular

No problem using it with an external, they do mirroring I think... Use it that way.
    It is old enough to not to be of much use, unless you do not have any other computer...

CRTs as you may know use high voltage, so BEFORE you open it, let it discharge for a while, that can be a couple days (the CRT IS a capacitor).

* Could be many things: - Loose CRT connector, dead filaments, blown up circuits...

3. ComputerWizKid thread starter macrumors newbie

I Think it is a loose CRT Connector

I think it my be just a loose CRT connector because my idiot friend gave it a good smack and it lit up with the Mac OS 9.1 start up screen and he told me it had no OS :D at least I have a OSX DVD now :cool: .but I moved the computer and now it will not work again. What are the common Connectors that could have come loose in this that would affect the CRT? I really a PC user :D Sorry :apple: Users I just wanted a Mac to learn Basic stuff my hobie is computers and I want to open up my own shop so I need to learn Mac anyway so I want to take this as my chance (If I can get it working) oh and I googled and I now have a "Service Manual"

http://www.scribd.com/doc/103447/iMac-G3-Disassembly-Guide

I did find a place to download it but I don't have the link any more