Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colin348

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2018
1B041DAC-5D63-4F37-BDB3-60F5A2E7F1D2.jpeg

It has no security and it won’t connect.

I also tried a WEP network

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The first-generation AirPort only supports 802.11 a/b. It won't connect to modern 802.11 g/n networks, regardless of the security setting.
[doublepost=1533943681][/doublepost]Check your wireless router's settings to see if there is an option to enable legacy 802.11 a/b. But if you can run an ethernet cable to the iMac G3, that is definitely the best solution. 802.11 a/b is quite slow by today's standards.

Reactions: colin348

rylinmichelle

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
Hi, I know this is an old post but I thought maybe someone might see this reply and respond. I have an iMac g3 2001, I installed an airport card with the proper adapter. The iMac shows that the airport card is working but it isn’t finding any networks. How can I get the installed airport card with the proper adapter to pick up networks?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The original Airport card is only going to see 2.4Ghz networks. If your router is 5GHz then the card will not see it. If your router is 802.11/AC you'll need to set it to allow 802.11 A/B. Original Airport cards cannot connect to anything higher.

And if all you're using is OS9 then the router needs to be using WEP, not WPA or WPA2.

Finally, if none of that works, make sure you have the antenna plugged into the card properly. If that doesn't work it's possible you have a bad card.

rylinmichelle

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
Hi, the card and adapter are working fine. I did forget to plug in the antenna properly, but figured that out shortly after I posted. I am running 10.4 tiger by the way, and have both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The airport card is now showing networks, including mine, however, it wants a WEP password. I have tried typing in my wifi password many times but it comes back with an error connecting. I have a router and modern in one. I am not sure how to change the settings to allow 802.11a/b. I am able to login into the UI for the router/modem on my MBA M1. Is there something I should be looking for specifically? Also, if I am able to change the settings to allow for 802.11a/b will it cause my other devices to be kicked off the network? Final question, would purchasing an AirPort Extreme base from 2003 allow the airport card to connect to wifi (thinking worse case scenario here, lol)? Thank you for your response, please get back to me when you are able.

EDIT: see last photo it appears it is already set to b/g/n. Is there another setting I should try enabling?
64936979866__768EA56E-5727-4E40-9104-F0949808E859.HEIC.jpeg
64936981534__5973797E-5F49-43D0-B46E-4902E4958014.HEIC.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 4.58.20 PM.png

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
The airport card is now showing networks, including mine, however, it wants an WEP password.
Are you fully updated, i.e. on Tiger 10.4.11? That should at least allow you to connect to WPA (i.e. WPA1)-encrypted networks rather than just the woefully insecure WEP. But WPA2, which your network is probably/hopefully using, is a no-go with the original AirPort cards.

rylinmichelle

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
Are you fully updated, i.e. on Tiger 10.4.11? That should at least allow you to connect to WPA (i.e. WPA1)-encrypted networks rather than just the woefully insecure WEP. But WPA2, which your network is probably/hopefully using, is a no-go with the original AirPort cards.
It is updated to tiger 10.4.11, maybe I did the install for those updates incorrectly? I edited the post you responded on with a new photo, maybe the last photo will help determine if I need to change a setting? I see on UI settings for the network that WEP is disabled, unfortunately it will not allow me to enable it.
Screen Shot 2021-07-30 at 5.05.16 PM.png

If I purchased this old 2003 airport extreme to do you think I would be able to get wifi working on the iMac with the airport card?
s-l1600-2.jpg

Last edited:

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
If I purchased this old 2003 airport extreme to do you think I would be able to get wifi working on the iMac with the airport card?
It supports WEP so should work. Hook it up to your modern router via ethernet and have it offer another WiFi network just for the iMac. Just keep in mind WEP is very insecure. It's basically like having no encryption at all.

Reactions: eyoungren

rylinmichelle

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
It supports WEP so should work. Hook it up to your modern router via ethernet and have it offer another WiFi network just for the iMac. Just keep in mind WEP is very insecure. It's basically like having no encryption at all.
I was assuming it would work because I have airport admin utility pre-installed with macOS 10.4.11. thank you for your help
IMG_4986.jpeg
IMG_4987.jpeg

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It is updated to tiger 10.4.11, maybe I did the install for those updates incorrectly? I edited the post you responded on with a new photo, maybe the last photo will help determine if I need to change a setting? I see on UI settings for the network that WEP is disabled, unfortunately it will not allow me to enable it. View attachment 1812945

View attachment 1812950
Your router is running WPA2-PSK with AES encryption. If you want to connect, you'll need to click the popup for that and choose disabled. Then you'd click the popup for WPA and select Enabled. After that you'd change the encryption to TKIP.

Then you could connect. To do all this it'd probably be better to connect to your router via Ethernet.

If you really want to run the Airport Extreme base station, then as mentioned connect it to your router via ethernet cable. With the Airport Utility I'd further suggest setting a Static IP on the Internet tab and then putting the base station into Bridge Mode.

Note, the Router Address and DNS Server Address are going to be the IP address of your primary router.

AirPort Utility.png AirPort Utility2.png

Reactions: Amethyst1

rylinmichelle

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2021
Your router is running WPA2-PSK with AES encryption. If you want to connect, you'll need to click the popup for that and choose disabled. Then you'd click the popup for WPA and select Enabled. After that you'd change the encryption to TKIP.

Then you could connect. To do all this it'd probably be better to connect to your router via Ethernet.

If you really want to run the Airport Extreme base station, then as mentioned connect it to your router via ethernet cable. With the Airport Utility I'd further suggest setting a Static IP on the Internet tab and then putting the base station into Bridge Mode.

Note, the Router Address and DNS Server Address are going to be the IP address of your primary router.

View attachment 1812959 View attachment 1812958
Thank you for all of your help, it's made a huge difference!! I decided I am going to buy an old AirPort Extreme base station. Thank you, thank you!

Reactions: eyoungren

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I recently had to factory reset my router - as a consequence, I can no longer connect with my G3 iBook which has an Airport card installed.

I've tried every logical setting adjustment - changed the channel, toggled between WPA and WPA2/WPA, changed from b+g+n to b+g....the 5Ghz radio is off be default and there never has been an option to toggle AES/TKIP.

I'm sure I've checked every setting available but can anyone think of anything else?

ADunsmuir

Contributor
Mar 26, 2020
I recently had to factory reset my router - as a consequence, I can no longer connect with my G3 iBook which has an Airport card installed.

I've tried every logical setting adjustment - changed the channel, toggled between WPA and WPA2/WPA, changed from b+g+n to b+g....the 5Ghz radio is off be default and there never has been an option to toggle AES/TKIP.

I'm sure I've checked every setting available but can anyone think of anything else?
WEP?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a secondary router that feeds OS9 and uses WEP but I first wanted to have WPA working with the iBook has it had done before.
The router that you had to reset, that's your primary router correct?

What model is that?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It's one of those things I've never used and had no recollection of turning it off before...but apparently I did ;)
Well, generally most router manufacturers and ISPs enable that from factory. You factory reset it, so it's logical that it would have been turned 'on' in the reset. And you had your iBook connected before so, yeah, at some point you did turn it off.

On my own router I have that disabled because I'm supporting older devices. I had forgotten myself, but in looking up what you think is the model (and I think you are right), a review mentioned that it had WPS which jogged my memory.

I hate the damn thing, it's been nothing but useless to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.