Imac G4 1.25ghz upgrade! completed

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vapor matt, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Vapor matt macrumors regular

I have a 1.25ghz 17" G4 imac and i love it, love the look of it. but it needed some love, so i installed a 250g hard drive with 8m cache, a 22X DVD RW drive and 2 gig of ram, airport card and blue tooth, and i have to say its given my trusty imac G4 a new lease of life! the screen is perfect and its in mint condition so iam well happy with the results.

I just use it for surfing, itunes and data logging and now i know she has a new lease of life with new hardware i hope to keep it a few more years yet.

the moral of the post is a G4 imac can still have purpose in the modern computing world!

just thought i would share!

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Nice.....you should have posted this in the PowerPC MAcs forum though. I would have went with a SSD if I was doing all that work anyway, but great system....I keep looking for a decent priced 1.25GHz G4 so I can enjoy USB 2.0 speeds.

3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I wonder if an enterprising individual could fit the guts of one of thenew mini's inside the form factor of the old G4 iMac. I always loved that form and monitor combo. I would not trade my 27 inch Imac screen, but that little lamp iMac sure was nice. It looks reasonable to think you could somehow fits the internals of a mini into the base and makeit all work somehow.

4. Vapor matt thread starter macrumors regular

I dont think they do a ATA SSD drive, but she flys along ok on the 7.200 rpm WD blue. and a mac mini install inside could well be somthing for the future, wouldnt mind that myself! I just love the shape of the imac G4

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

You need a SATA SSD with an ATA to SATA adapter....it's been done by several folks.

6. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=224698