iMac G4 1 ghz logic board swap

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mnowell69, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

Hi all, have just bought an iMac G4 15" on fleabay that has a broken speaker port. Knowing this I thought to replace the port by soldering the port from a donor logic board. Then I saw that it might be possible to replace the logic board from a machine with a 17 inch screen (15" boards are very rare in the UK it seems) So, does anybody here know if this is possible or not? Thanks

2. CooperBox, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

The board configurations of 15" and 17" iMac's appear to be different. Just taken these photos of mine. Note that the USB sockets have been swapped from the r/h side across to the left, and speaker/headphone ports from left to right.

15" base-plate.
    G4iMac-15in.jpg

If it were me and you have a 17" donor board, I'd be inclined to desolder the broken speaker port and add the serviceable one from the 17".
    Does the 'broken' speaker port function correctly? I ask this because on one of my 20" iMac's there is slight damage to the underside of the speaker port, but it functions correctly.

17" base-plate.
    G4-iMac-17in.jpg

FWIW, photo below shows the slightly damaged speaker port (3rd from the right) on a 20" model. As I said it's only a cosmetic problem.
    BUT! Spot the other major anomaly..........!!

Attached Files:

3. Mnowell69, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

Mnowell69 thread starter macrumors regular

Mnowell69

image.jpeg image.jpeg I'll go out on a limb here and say that the 15" I have is like the 17" in the photos here. I believe that the 15" in your photo is the older model. To be clear mine is the usb 2 model and the broken port looks pretty much like the one in your attached photo. I haven't actually received the iMac yet. :)