iMac G4 15" 700Mhz possible upgrades

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by phifer8390, Sep 26, 2008.

1. phifer8390 macrumors member

I just got the mac mentioned in the thread title. I am interested in upgrading many of its features. If anyone has any advice or know where to find parts, or good reading material. I know my easily accessible ram is 512 and would like to upgrade the upper. While I am in there I would also like to upgrade the cd-r to a dvd-r, the hd from 40gb to the largest it will recognize. If the cpu can be upgraded I would also like to give that a shot. Thanx

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

The G4 iMac has all of its components on one logic board, as such it is not possible to upgrade your CPU without a logic board replacement. As for the other parts you can read Here also the take apart instructions are here

3. phifer8390 thread starter macrumors member

I have seen that site and found some ram. I am also ordering thermal paste, a dvd burner, and a hard drive. just need t know how large the hard drive can be. Here is my bus information.

[​IMG]

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

It looks like a 120GB is the max you can install from that site I gave you.

5. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

If you want a larger HDD you need to get SpeedTools ATA Hi-Capacity Driver which will extended capacity of ATA drives (drives greater than 128 Gigabytes in size) on older G4 and G3 Macintoshes. You can get it at OWC.

6. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

You have the first revision of the G4 (The original 700/800 model), so the largest size of hard drive it will accept is 120GB. The upper RAM is a desktop-type stick. It'll take up to 512MB for a max of 1G with the bottom RAM. As for DVD burners, you can install a variety of drives. However, most (especially generic name-brands) drivers will probably not be supported. Others (e.g.. LG, Pioneer...) can be supported through the use of Patchburn (free software) if they don't have included OS X support. The CPU is not upgradeable, unless you get a 1GHz board from a 15" model.

7. phifer8390 thread starter macrumors member

So I sold my 700Mhz G4 on Ebay the day after I bought a G4 1.25Ghz 20" model. Now I am going to upgrade that instead. I am just witing for its arrival!