Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeventura

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2024
You need: a multimeter for measuring, a hdmi breakout adapter, a molex 12v power supply and an old iMac G4.

If your iMac G4 is working I wouldn't do it - keep it running. I only did it because my power supply was broken.

Dumbing it down: Remove all components from your old iMac, strip the inverter and TMDS cable and attach the wires to the power source and HDMI port.

If you're completely inexperienced with electronics maybe watch some videos on youtube on simple electronics first.

Really dumbing it down,

Unplug the TMDS cable and plug it into this:

Theantal

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2024
Hi folks, this is really the best thread around the G4 HDMI conversion I‘v found online. Well done.
That breakoutboard is awesome, I should have gotten it a couple of days ago :)

I‘ve attempted to do it myself these days as well but I‘m struggling a bit.
I’ve tried it a few times but everytime I get an image like the attached one. A bunch of noise all over. I‘ve tried shielding it a bit more but this is the best I can get.
I also use a screwed HDMI socket to avoid solder. The only wire that has a bit of solder on it is the purple one Connected to HDMI Pin 18, as I ripped of the connector accidentally.
The panel was working alright when I tried it before starting the conversion a couple of months ago.

Can it be something with the powersupply?

On my first attempts I was using the internal one with a too small converter, then I switched to an old 300W ATX powersupply before buying a proper one that will stay in it.

Any Idea would be highly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3443.jpeg
    IMG_3443.jpeg
    714.6 KB · Views: 5

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
Hi, Theantal.
How is your setup right now? Are you using the dedicated breakout board?

Can you take a photo that shows us how and which cables you have connected to the adapter board?

Assuming the display is working it could be as simple as a misplaced wire or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.