iMac G4 17" arm/neck sag

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by spf2, Mar 12, 2015.

1. spf2 macrumors regular

spf2

Is there any way to fix this? If i move it forward, it slides forward until it stops. Seems like there is not enough friction to hold it still. I've read about using a tool to tighten up the joints but have not read any sucessful results. Most comments replied they had theirs replaced which meant replacing the arm and the screen together which it out of the question now.

2. gooser macrumors 6502

go to an auto parts store and buy a set of feeler gauges. (just a few dollars) find the one that seems to offer the correct amount of friction, downsize with a pair of scissors and slide in the appropriate space. problem solved.

3. spf2 thread starter macrumors regular

spf2

The feeler gauges I see are metal . Where would I slide it? Would I need to open up the arm assembly or wedge it someplace else. Sorry for my ignorance since this is something that I can't visualize. I work better with pictures. :)

4. gooser macrumors 6502

no, you don't need to take it apart. examine where it's sagging now and slide it in there. just a few minutes job. you're just shimming it.

5. spf2 thread starter macrumors regular

spf2

6. gooser macrumors 6502

yes.

7. spf2 thread starter macrumors regular

spf2

Excellent.. Do you have it handy where you take a picture ? I don't want to mess it up since I'm not sure where to slide it in. I am notorious in messing things up.

8. spf2 thread starter macrumors regular

spf2

I did jam a piece of metal into the joint but it didn't help much. I think the springs inside the neck is busted since I can hear a slight pop as I lower the neck. I guess I'll be on the lookout for another neck.