iMac G4 1ghz Screen issue - grey!?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by adom, Sep 25, 2008.

1. adom macrumors 6502

Hello,

So I recently looked on ebay to buy myself that iMac I've always wanted, a G4. Bought from a seller "as seen", due to the fact that the seller bought it and didnt have a power cord to test it. Risky I know, but I bought anyway.

Have got the iMac today and are having screen problems. I firstly connected it on target disk mode to my alu imac, so that I could format and install Leopard on it. Once I had done that, I realised that the screen wasnt showing the usual Firewire icon.

Turns out, my screen is turning on ( it goes from the off pitch black to a back lit black/grey), but nothing is coming on the screen.

Looks like this --

[​IMG]

Being a novice as I am to this type of iMac, is there anything you can suggest that I do? Im going to hook it up to an external tomorrow to help determine the situation...but still.

Slightly annoyed, as I got this lovely 17" 1ghz model for only £100 -- was hoping that it would turn out ok, alas my luck isnt that good!!

Thanks for any help

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried to move the display around. Those units had problems with the cables getting pinched in the pole that bends. I hope that helps

3. adom thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to note, I dont see the sleep light either? :mad:

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Did you read my post?

5. adom thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry, yes, thank you. I moved it all around when it was turned on - to no avail. Everything is whurring away, the backlight is on, but cant get anything to show. Im maybe thinking its like you say - the connection from the monitor to the board/card.