iMac G4 20" fan replacement and HD questions

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by didius, Aug 24, 2015.

1. didius, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

didius macrumors newbie

didius

Hi,

I own a iMac G4 20" (usb 2.0). Lately I noticed the fan is spinning louder than before. It's now making sound at a level where it becomes annoying. (+ it never stops).
    I think age has started to wear it of, so I would like to replace it. However this fan is kina special. Since the design of the iMac G4 uses the whole case as a heatsink it pusheds air out on the sides. As someone demonstrated on the following image:

[​IMG]

Did anyone replace this fan? Kan anyone advice a replacement fan?
    I'm a bit reluctant to replace it because the iMac G4 is sensitve to heat issues. Any tips?

When I'm going to replace the fan, I was thinking of putting a SSD drive in at the same time. For two reasons: slight speed bump + less heat production. But i'm not really up to date on the latest SATA/SSD technologies. I know the iMac G4 comes with IDE ports, however in Belgium it's very hard (and expensive) to get a IDE SDD drive. So I was thinking of getting a Sata SSD drive and a sata to IDE converter. Does this work?
    I can get something lik a Sandisk Standard SSD 128 GB SATA3 at the computer reseller nearby. What kind of convert should I get? Does the 3 in SATA3 matter? How about the dimensions, Can i fit a 2.5 drive in a 3.5 cage? What kind of hacks should I use there?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Go for a mSATA SSD and a converter for the PATA interface. Don't forget to put fresh thermal paste on the contact points.

3. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You can get sleds for mounting the 2.5" enclosure into a 3.5" bay. I have a few of them actually.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Mechanical drives need securely mounting with screws. Not really an issue with solid state devices - zip ties/duct tape/Velcro FTW. ;)

6. didius thread starter macrumors newbie

didius

Okay, thanks for the tips. Any pointers on a fan replacement?

7. for this macrumors regular

The fan may just need some lubricant, have you tried it?

I've no idea about the exact replacement. But I think you can use a standard fan, cut out some parts of the surrounding frame, leaving only the four corners for mounting.

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

To service a fan you need 91% or higher isopropyl alcohol and some mineral oil from the drug store. Just remove the fan itself from the motor and use a medicine dropper to drop in a drop of alcohol. Reinsert the fan shaft into the motor and crank it over by hand a few times to flush out the old oil and any debris inside. Wait for the motor to dry. Then, remove the fan again and clean the shaft and apply 3 drops of mineral oil to the inside of the fan. Turn the fan by hand to get the bearings lubed up before starting it the first time as it may damage the bearings. Wipe out any excess oil around the motor and test the fan. It should work great now!