Imac G4 20", Maybe i shouldn't have got it !

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by redhatcode29, Nov 1, 2014.

1. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Parted with some cash for 20" iMac G4, practically had to let go of a AMD xw9400 workstation and top up, to get this iMac. USD200! Nw I feel I've overpaid!

I was told by the owner that an Italian brought in the iMac to my country! Soon I'll know its origin. Seriously, this is the only 20" iMac G4 I've come across in my country. So...the thought of passing it off was &@>%#|>€ !

'Twas bundled with a wired kb and Mighty Mouse.....also with an Eyesight. Though I was informed of a defect in its screen, it did not look bad when I viewed it coz the defect is only well visible when the iMac is switched off.

It has a kind of defect in the inner part of the LCD. Have any of you guys come across such screens... Is it cure able or it needs a replacement!

Thought of just dismantling the LCD screws and give it a look.... 2nd thoughts, since I've nvr done ANYTHG of this sort on a LCD ...Further since its a very rare model in my part of the world and in the fear of ending with a disaster, I've done nothing.

I think, even with a tutorial i might screw it up! Any similar situations of an iMac g4, which any of you has come across ?

Attached Files:

2. gooser macrumors 6502a

that $200 is gonna be way too much if you screw it up. put a dvd in and watch it and see if it still bothers you.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You won't be able to fix that problem with the LCD screen. The only way to correct it is to replace the complete LCD panel.

4. weckart macrumors 68040

What is going on with that screen? It looks like the surface plastic has melted/warped in front of a naked flame.

5. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Ha ha

----------

Hmm...just what I was afraid of !

----------

I have no idea, it has been such even before the previous owner had obtained it. True it does look like it has been warped.

----------

But the warp is not on the external side of the LCD. It in in the inner part. The external part is smooth.

6. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

If it works then leave it alone. If it breaks then you will have to replace the entire panel.

7. reco2011 macrumors 6502a

This. I'm not really sure what the OPs concern is given he said the defect is not very visible when the system is on.

8. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

I think he just wants the magic smoke to escape.

[​IMG]

Every Mac is powered by magic smoke and when it gets out your Mac no longer works. Some people just like to try their luck.

9. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Yeah not so obvious when turned on. I think it is the glass panel..

This is a close up shot....the middle part of the glass is still fine...

Attached Files:

10. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

I thought the LCD was dying....but then I noticed while it was booting....the screen is lit up fine....while there seems to some dirt stuck in between the glass and lcd

Attached Files:

11. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Hmm, never seen that before. Would hazard a guess that one of the filter layers in the panel has delaminated and perhaps moisture has got in.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

G4 iMacs don't have a glass panel. What you see and can touch is the LCD panel itself. That complete unit is what would have to be replaced.

13. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Looks like screen was washed with some highly corrosive liquid.

14. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

No glass panel for this model huh! There goes my plan to take a peek into it!
    I though of giving this tutorial a shot...https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G4+17+800+MHz+EMC+1936+LCD+Replacement/6814
    Now I just have to live with it.

----------

It not on the external dude, it's in the inner part.

----------

Maybe I should try this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1813518

It will not bother me anymore ! Unless the lcd decides to end its life !