iMac G4 2GB Ram - Where to buy?

MathiasVH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Hi folks!

Today I finally picked up an iMac G4 1.25gHz 17" iMac - As brand new, with original speakers, mouse and keyboard. I'm very happy! :D

I want to upgrade it to 2gigs of RAM.

So: Where do I get the appropriate ram for the best price?

I've checked eBay, but I must admit that I have a very hard time getting an overview of which ram works and which doesn't. I live in Denmark, Europe, so it has to be something that can be shipped to me fairly cheap (I do prefer eBay, so if you could provide me with a link to the cheapest, compatible ram in there, that would be perfect!)

And also: Do you know of any good picture (!!) guide, ala iFixit, of the procedure?

I'm so excited finally to become a member of the PPC-club :D

Thanks in advance!
Mathias

MathiasVH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Any of above should work, but personally I'd avoid "no name" sticks. Check PC3200 pricing, maybe you'll find something even cheaper.

MathiasVH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Sounds good, thank you very much :) I'm wondering though. How come some of the eBay sellers sell similar RAM and then write something like: "for dell, hp, acer, sony... Not for Apple Mac"

What could be the reason it would work with anything else than Mac? :)

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
How come some of the eBay sellers sell similar RAM and then write something like: "for dell, hp, acer, sony... Not for Apple Mac"

What could be the reason it would work with anything else than Mac? :)
Hard to tell without examples...
It could be one of few reasons:

- high density chips
- this specific RAM brand and model was already tested on Mac and didn't work
- seller's ignorance ;)

superpc

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Gloucester, VA
Different models of the iMac G4 use different types of ram. The wikipedia page for the iMac G4 lists all the models and shows their technicial specs including what kind of ram they take. Maybe you can find it there. Try to spot your model and find what kind of ram it takes. Good luck. Once you find what kind of ram you need, I'd recommend Crucial for Ram, they have great deals on ram and all the ram I've ever gotten from them has been great.