iMac G4 2GB Ram - Where to buy?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MathiasVH, Jan 8, 2012.

1. MathiasVH macrumors regular

Hi folks!

Today I finally picked up an iMac G4 1.25gHz 17" iMac - As brand new, with original speakers, mouse and keyboard. I'm very happy! :D

I want to upgrade it to 2gigs of RAM.

So: Where do I get the appropriate ram for the best price?

I've checked eBay, but I must admit that I have a very hard time getting an overview of which ram works and which doesn't. I live in Denmark, Europe, so it has to be something that can be shipped to me fairly cheap (I do prefer eBay, so if you could provide me with a link to the cheapest, compatible ram in there, that would be perfect!)

And also: Do you know of any good picture (!!) guide, ala iFixit, of the procedure?

I'm so excited finally to become a member of the PPC-club :D

Thanks in advance!
    Mathias

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I buy my PPC memory from an eBay store called tubabug. They've got it nicely organised by model.:apple:

3. macdatadrive macrumors regular

I'm not sure about shipping but go to www.macsales.com
    The RAM is really cheap!

4. MathiasVH thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately I don't think tubabug has the RAM I need (maybe? I've linked to what might work) :/ Thank you though! And thank you macdata, though I don't think that they will ship to Denmark.

Will any of those work in an iMac G4 1.25:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1GB-PC2700-...ltDomain_0&hash=item1c2267db10#ht_2795wt_1413

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1GB-DDR-PC2...ltDomain_0&hash=item35a96707de#ht_3636wt_1180

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1GB-Apple-G...ultDomain_0&hash=item2c6229fcef#ht_563wt_1081

If not, please tell me what I should be looking for :D

(sorry for the long links)

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Any of above should work, but personally I'd avoid "no name" sticks. Check PC3200 pricing, maybe you'll find something even cheaper.

6. MathiasVH thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good, thank you very much :) I'm wondering though. How come some of the eBay sellers sell similar RAM and then write something like: "for dell, hp, acer, sony... Not for Apple Mac"

What could be the reason it would work with anything else than Mac? :)

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Hard to tell without examples...
    It could be one of few reasons:

- high density chips
    - this specific RAM brand and model was already tested on Mac and didn't work
    - seller's ignorance ;)

8. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

9. superpc macrumors newbie

superpc

Different models of the iMac G4 use different types of ram. The wikipedia page for the iMac G4 lists all the models and shows their technicial specs including what kind of ram they take. Maybe you can find it there. Try to spot your model and find what kind of ram it takes. Good luck. Once you find what kind of ram you need, I'd recommend Crucial for Ram, they have great deals on ram and all the ram I've ever gotten from them has been great.