Imac G4 800Mhz LeopardAssist Help

Discussion in 'iMac' started by angelxbites, Jun 9, 2011.

1. angelxbites macrumors newbie

Ok i bought a Imac g4 256 mb ram and 800MHz
    for 25$ good deal..im putting an extra 1GB ram chip then os x leopard
    But im currently on os x Puma:/
    So i got Leopardassist Version 1.1 Compatible with Puma 10.1.5
    but my imac is listed as untested so will it work if. I do
    1st gen>Single prossecer? Will this method work please help its my last resort..Im going to run Istallation off Retail leopard Os x cd:) BIGG Thank you in advance

2. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

First....this should be in the PowerPC forum.

Second, your iMac won't take a single 1GB memory module ...it maxes out at 1GB RAM total so you need two 512MB modules, one DIMM, one SO-DIMM (laptop memory module).

Third, yes, LeopardAssist should work....I used it on my iMac G4 with no problems, but I upgraded from Tiger, not Puma.

3. angelxbites thread starter macrumors newbie

First,my bad im new to macs along with this website soo dont be harsh:p

Ok are you sure i cant use the 1gb ram? apple says 1gb max but i read that 2gb are max:) and thank you for answering my question..do you know if the imac g4 is under 1st gen or 2ndgen because they are listed as untested

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

the USB 1.0 iMac G4's (700, 800MHz CPUs - maybe the 1GHz too, can't remember on that one) are only capable of 1GB RAM max.

the USB 2.0 model (1.25GHz CPU) can support 2GB RAM - even though Apple officially says it'll only take 1GB

Google for some iMac G4 "teardown" pics/videos...the G4 iMac has two memory modules...one they call "user replaceable" is easy to get at, the other "system module" requires a pretty extensive take-apart of the base unit (I know - I replaced both on mine and added a bigger, faster hard drive)....and you'll need some thermal paste on hand when you put it back together. It's not a big deal if you're used to taking apart and assembling PCs...I took my time and cleaned out the dust while inside mine and the whole process took maybe 45 minutes.

Good luck....and $25 was a pretty good price.