iMac G4 as backup server?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Paulywauly, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

At the moment im just using the iMac G4 as a print server and music player in the kitchen (1GHz, 1GB, USB2, 802.11G) however im toying with the idea of turning it into a backup server and was wondering if anyone had any insight into the best way to go about it?

At the minute i have my main computer (an intel imac) in my bedroom with a number of external drives for storage which backs up to a Drobo using Time Machine. The problem i have is that the Drobo is way too loud for the room.

My first idea is to put the Drobo in the kitchen attached to the iMac G4 and backup over the wifi (as my Airport Extreme is in living room) my main issue with it is this and a full backup is around 2.5TB which would take over a month :rolleyes:

is anyone out there using such an old computer for this sort of thing? and do you have any tips? Money is also an issue at the moment so i cant go out and buy something quieter! :eek: Any help appreciated

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

I think you answered your own question on this one. You either have to deal with the noise, deal with the slow transfers over wireless or put in a wired network. The wired network is not that expensive if you do it yourself. The most expensive part is the router.

I personally recommend not doing this sort of thing (everyone thinks a server is cool but most have no idea how to use them) but if you really want to do this you need a wired network.

Cheers

3. Paulywauly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

Thanks for the reply!

I do know to work with servers, its my job :D but at home im not dealing with monolithic server racks with cable trunking etc Im limited by budget and have to think outside the box sometimes to get things how i want them.

Regardless, what you're saying does make alot of sense. what it boils down to is that I either have to deal with the noise or wire the place up if i wanna stick it in the kitchen. great stuff, thanks again! :)