Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
So, logic board died on my 15" iMac G4 700 MHz, and I decided to mod it.
With this holder and a bit of Pb (lead), it is now fantastic flexible iPad mini stand.

14821701540_8fd5db41b9_b.jpg

14821631049_79330150c3_b.jpg

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
While it is great to see an iMac G4 being used, it is unfortunate that it had to be horrible mutilated.

You guys obviously like useless dust collectors. Only usable things on this G4 are PSU and flexible neck, so i used them.

Just google image that word you used - "mutilated", that is horrible.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think it's a good mod. OP used what he had and at least part of the Mac is still being used. That's what we do with our old Macs right, we use them.

OP, the white panel behind the iPad, is that so you had something to attach the iPad holders to?

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
I think it's a good mod. OP used what he had and at least part of the Mac is still being used. That's what we do with our old Macs right, we use them.

OP, the white panel behind the iPad, is that so you had something to attach the iPad holders to?

:)

White panel is actually plastic around iMacs 15" panel, formed to hide 1.5kg of lead. Texture is actually glues fault, it ate plastic inside, but it now looks interesting because of that, it looks like marble. I used lead for weight, because iMacs neck does not work without weight, at least 1.8 kg. iMacs 15" weighs 2.2 kg.
So marble is actually weight, so neck could work. If i just screwed iPad holder to the neck, iPad would always be pointing up with useless angle.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
:)

White panel is actually plastic around iMacs 15" panel, formed to hide 1.5kg of lead. Texture is actually glues fault, it ate plastic inside, but it now looks interesting because of that, it looks like marble. I used lead for weight, because iMacs neck does not work without weight, at least 1.8 kg. iMacs 15" weighs 2.2 kg.
So marble is actually weight, so neck could work. If i just screwed iPad holder to the neck, iPad would always be pointing up with useless angle.
That makes sense. Good job!

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2014
Speak for yourself, I'm blessed with a G4 that still functions. :p
v4wBpt7.jpg

Glad you're still making use of it though! Good job! :)
There's a real estate office in the White Oaks Mall (if anyone is familiar with London, Ontario, Canada) that still uses these iMacs.

repentix

macrumors regular
May 26, 2013
I'm still dreaming of a macintosh classic/ hackintosh mod with an intel nuc with DP and a retina screen with converter to DP (as seen in the tek syndicate video) :D

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Maybe it's the angle of the photos or something, but it looks way off center and pretty hacked together.....I have to side with the "mutilated" commenter - sorry man.

I took photos from that angle so that mechanism could be seen....anyway, thanks for comment.

I can just unscrew this holder, and connect it to its vacuum glass part and use it in a car.

I can rotate it, move it, pan it 180 degrees...its great....not the best industrial design, but mutilated .... OK.

14849511258_19abd8b9bf_b.jpg

14849580709_4ca53a7ea8_b.jpg

14849773517_bfab736754_b.jpg

15036319885_cb4c30ee8d_b.jpg

15013322806_79122ffb76_b.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
To be honest, if you removed the old screen completely from the arm and had the ipad its self be the only "screen" shaped object it would look correct.

I'm sure there is a better way where you can completely ditch the original screen instead of covering it up.

The next best thing would be to remove the lcd panel from inside the screen and fit the ipad inside of there in place of the screen.

I applaud your idea, now try to make it better! :)

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
To be honest, if you removed the old screen completely from the arm and had the ipad its self be the only "screen" shaped object it would look correct.

I'm sure there is a better way where you can completely ditch the original screen instead of covering it up.

The next best thing would be to remove the lcd panel from inside the screen and fit the ipad inside of there in place of the screen.

I applaud your idea, now try to make it better! :)

Behind the screen is very strong thick metal which is full of cable holders, screw holes....very difficult to make look nice. Google for it, very ugly.

I shared my solution with you, talking is one thing, actually making this work and look great is not easy at all.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well, I like it! Can you cover that top bit entirely by rotating it? Hopefully you have a keyboard to pair it with too. ;)

Functional doesn't have to be pretty. I recently put a stick on pocket that covers the entire back on my iPad Mini's keyboard case. It has a little flap that you can press to close, and holds a field notes sized notebook, among a few other things while keeping it pocketable.

bax2003

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 25, 2011
Well, I like it! Can you cover that top bit entirely by rotating it? Hopefully you have a keyboard to pair it with too. ;)

Functional doesn't have to be pretty. I recently put a stick on pocket that covers the entire back on my iPad Mini's keyboard case. It has a little flap that you can press to close, and holds a field notes sized notebook, among a few other things while keeping it pocketable.

How do you mean cover it, by photographing it ? More top view photos ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.