iMac G4 as second display?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cosmichobo, Apr 20, 2014.

1. cosmichobo macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

G'day,

I have a 2009 24" iMac, and have just inherited a 20" G4 iMac, which would make a nice 2nd display...

Is there any way to hook the two machines up to achieve this? Some kind of network option, via 3rd party software perhaps??? (if not native)

Thanks,

cosmic

2. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

So, to answer my question...

The 2003 G4 iMac has no video in port, thus no adapters will allow it to receive a signal from the Early 2009 iMac's Mini DisplayPort. :(

I am trialing Screen Recycler, coupled with JollyFastVNC over firewire... and it's just not usable... Yes, the 2003 iMac does become a second monitor for the 2009 iMac... but there is too much lag for it to be a useful option. And the 2003 iMac doesn't have 1000BaseT ethernet, so that's not an option... (and I'm guessing 10/100 isn't going to be an improvement over firewire400).

I love this lil G4 iMac... was so jealous when I purchased it in 2006 for my parents to use... now they've upgraded to a 2008 iMac, and so it's come to me finally, but it looks like there's no real use for it...

Cheers,

cosmic

3. cosmichobo thread starter macrumors 6502

cosmichobo

Out of interest, I tried changing from Firewire to Ethernet... and - with ScreenRecycler set to use as much CPU as it wanted (100% of 1 processor!), the image on the 2003 iMac was moderately tolerable...

The catch... ScreenRecycler and JollyFastVNC (the only VNC I found that actually was jolly fast) are shareware apps, that would cost me around $70 to purchase...

For that money, I could quite probably pick up an actual 2nd screen...