Imac G4 Deal Breaker..

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Oct 27, 2014.

1. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings!

As i mentioned i picked up a IMac g3 last week in my previous post. But something is still bothering me. when i grabbed the G3 there was an imac g4 for sale at this computer shop. It was a 1.25Ghz model. Thats all i know as the owner didnt want to "authenticate it". It was at the Leopard welcome screen and due to licensing the owner didnt want to proceed further into the installation. It was a little dirty but the 17" model with the speakers and keyboard. No mouse. Someone had donated it to the store along with the original DVds' and 10.5.4 DVD. which the store shop owner installed.

Heres the real kicked. He wanted $50 for it. Currently as a broke University student that is trying to save something up for a car i had to leave it there.
    Sad that i couldnt afford the machine i got the Imac G3 which was about to be recycled for $5.

My main question is: is an imac G4 with Unknown RAM 1.25 GHz G4 and what looked like the 17" model with Speakers, keyboard and maybe Leopard disks and some other disks worth the price?

I wanted to run to a bank to get the money but i realized what use can i get oiut of this machine really thats worth $50? its just going to sit and collect dust like my $40 emac 1.42Ghz that now has a dead hard drive and is waiting for me to replace it. What are your thoughts? Let me know.

2. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

if you don't use the emac

If the emac is no use the iMac G4 won't be of any use to you. Its a good machine, but worth only 40 or 50 to the right person, much as a G5 iMac is worth that.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

A Leopard retail disk is worth $50 by itself.

I would look at the whole package, but IMO $50 isn't terrible for the last and best iMac G4 with the stuff you mentioned included.

I'll also add that when I got my iMac G4 my eMac went into the closet(the iMac took its desk space) and hasn't come back out. Granted my eMac was one of the lower spec models(700mhz) and my iMac a 1.25, but its overall a much nicer design and just overall more pleasant to use than the eMac.

4. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

The only reason i bought the Flipping emac was because i wanted a G4. I never liked the Emacs. My Favorite machines are the Imac G3's, the B/W power macintosh G3s, Ibook Clambshells and what i always wanted a Imac G4.

The Emac that i purchased i was using for internet use as it did do Facebook and youtube decently. Well Until the hard drive died on it.

I want a Imac G4. Just one that needs a little work to get going and that i can get free. lol

----------

I dont know if he was going to throw that in or not. its bugging me! But $50 URG. that imac would just sit in my dorm all week then at my house till Christmas lol

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I can relate-that's exactly how I got my iMac G4 :) (mine needed a hard drive).

6. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

maybe

The disk being worth 50 is kind of high. If you buy new from apple maybe.

the emac 1.42 will be faster and better than the 1.25 iMac, easier to take apart and replace parts.

If you want the iMac G4 go get it, just saying as "worth" goes thats up to you.

7. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I'm guessing you haven't priced them on Ebay recently...

$45-60 is a typical selling price for a retail Leopard disk.

8. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

iMac G4's are slow. Like really slow. I've got 2 of them that I've owned for a while now. One is a 17" 1GHz with 2GB of RAM and the other is a 20" 1.25GHz with 1.5GB of RAM. The screens are really nice, and of course the speakers are good, but the overall performance is really underwhelming even with capacity or near capacity RAM. The 1.25GHz G4 really feels a lot slower than my 1.5GHz 12" PowerBook. I can only assume it has to do with 256k of L2 cache and 7455 processor. They make really beautiful jukeboxes, but it just isn't a great computer to get online with anymore.

9. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

the bay hmmm

Ya not a fan of the bay

I check craigslist and such and closer to 20 if i needed another copy.

There looks to a family pack of it for 32.99 buy it now, and a .99 cent start on one.

I Have a copy already so to me it just seems high.

10. GraniteTheWolf macrumors 6502

I want to add a +1 to Hrududu's post. I have a 1.25ghz iMac G4 with maxed out 2gb ram, and a nice fast 7200 rpm 400gb hard drive. For a G4 it is very sluggish when it comes to browsing the internet. Its liveable, perhaps it would be even better with a SSD installed, but its not what it should be. (my 933 mhz powermac 2002 Quicksilver felt faster!)

Its more of a collectors piece then anything these days. I have my pristine condition one tucked away in a tote, wrapped up and surrounded with bubble wrap. It used to be my 3rd monitor but I upgraded to a 2006 core2duo imac to run alongside my mac pro when my mac pro is busy doing other things.

For $50 id buy it, but keep in mind it isnt a speedy machine!

11. weckart macrumors 68040

I would argue against the screen's being nice. On my 17" 1GHz model the viewing angles are really poor. If not looked at straight on everything is washed out.

12. gooser macrumors 6502a

wow. i guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. i have a few g4 imac's and they fulfill all of my needs. storing, copying and playing music. copying and watching dvd's and light internet browsing. a few non demanding games. storing pictures. internet's a little slow but that's no big deal.

13. HereBeMonsters macrumors 6502

HereBeMonsters

I still use my G4s all the time. Depends IF YOU will use it, whether it's a good deal for you or not.

If it were me, I'd have it. Despite having one already, and one for parts!