iMac G4 fan: clean or replace?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by sikkinixx, Jul 9, 2012.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I quite like my 17" USB2.0 G4 iMac but the fan (or maybe their hard drive... Pretty sure it's the fan) is quite loud. Is there a way to clean it or I am better off ebaying a replacement?

I opened it up a while back and replaced the DVD drive, it was dust as all hell so I gave it a dusting off but it's still noisy so I'm guessing replace it?

Then again I didn't take it off its little bracket so maybe I could clean it better?

2. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

the fans inside computers are quite basic bits of equipment. i changed my iMac g3 fan to an Arctic Cooling F9 like shown below;

[​IMG]

They are less than £10 and are silent!

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Unfortunately the iMac G4's fans are not as basic. They are open on the sides of the fan as well as the front and back. This allows for more airflow to circulate within the iMac's body. Installing a fan without open sides causes the iMac to overheat when it is under load.

4. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

ooo i didnt know this, goes to look on google ^.^

----------

Okay, what you need is an Arcic F9 Pro, not very much on ebay and have open sides. the iMac G4 is a 92mm 12V fan.

This is what i would fit;

[​IMG]

5. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

yeah I remember previous Googling found that issue. I would prefer a new fan to one ripped out of an iMac as knowing my luck it would be just as loud...

Hmmm interesting

6. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

while your inside why not replace its pram battery as the g4s are at the end of the road

7. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Good bit of advice! U get all sorts of trouble once that's on it's way out

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

What matters there is the amount of actual air displaced by the fans. If new fans can displace an equal or greater amount, you shouldn't run into overheating issues. I wouldn't just judge this on the visual appearance of the design.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Have you ever put a straight through fan in a G4 iMac? I have as well as plenty of others. They all overheated and shutdown within a few hours of use. If something is designed a way for a reason, it was meant to be there for a reason. The particular part that overheats and triggers a thermal fuse is the power supple. It's two halves border the open sides of the fan and need the open sides for airflow.