iMac g4 first boot stuck at Apple logo

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by g20man, Aug 26, 2013.

1. g20man macrumors member

g20man

I have a 1ghz g4 that previously had Tiger installed and was fully functional. I installed Leopard (took over 6 hours) and after the restart it hangs at the Apple logo with the spinner. I have read other posts about being stuck but nothing's worked. I'm currently reinstalling Leopard again after erasing the hard drive.

Any ideas? If I can't get it working tonight I can return it tomorrow

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I wouldn't worry too much. The first time I installed Leopard it too forever to boot up. One update consistently across three installs also rebooted the Mac during boot.

When it boots up the next time after the install, hold down the V key when it chimes. You can watch the progress of what's happening. Knowing what's happening can relieve stress and if there is a problem you can see where it hangs up.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If it gets stuck at the Apple logo again, start it up in verbose boot (Command-V at chime). What are the last few lines it stops at or repeats?

4. g20man thread starter macrumors member

g20man

I'm at work til 5 (edt) so it will probably boot to the logo by the time I'm home. It went all night and never got past it.

Should I restart it when I get there and do what you told me?

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes. You want to start in verbose mode. It's going to be a black screen with a bunch of text that keeps popping up. Wherever it gets stuck we'll be able to see what it's saying when it gets stuck if you can tell us. Based on that we may be able to figure out what's going wrong.

6. g20man thread starter macrumors member

g20man

Came home today and it was up and running!

Thanks for the suggestions though