IMac G4 Flat Panel Ram Question

bare spots

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
It's a machine picked up refurbished years ago, when it went down I didn't have the time mess around so it's been sitting for about 5 yrs. It's a G4 iMac flat panel, believe a 3 usb ports 1.1, 800 MHz. Now my experience is very limit and very much so looking forward to working on it and from what I been reading the last couple of days it looks like good starting point is to replace the battery and check the ram, then the reset button by the ram. Now only picked up the ram for the user slot but I wondering about the ram slot (inaccessable slot) by the battery and if I pulled and on a good machine would it start up without that?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A G4 iMac will be able to start with only one ram stick installed. It does not matter if it is in the user or inaccessible slot.

bare spots

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
northeast
Found something told me how to check thee ports on this but first the new battery didn't do much, thought it was a long shot but had to try. The port told me I need a logic board although was thing the power supply unit (hope their not bad, stranger things have happened I guess. The only thing though, got no reading from the port test, not sure what that port test for. Now to decide about picking up one of these boards. Did want another Mac, wanted to try and do few things with it.
[doublepost=1549253323][/doublepost]Found something online to check the ports but first got the battery and ram installed but no dice. The battery pORT checked out but other port check tells me I need a logic board. Was thinking it was the power unit but the way it acted before it went down seams to make sense. One thing, not sure what that main port was for. Do have plans for another Mac so think will look around, still wondering apout thee power unit though.