Imac G4 Flat Panel vs leopard

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by mindingulove, Sep 18, 2013.

1. mindingulove macrumors member

thats my first post :)
    i have an old imac G4 with 700 mhz. i installed leopard on it with leopard asset it all went well except one think, screen becomes dark after wake from sleep. i googled around and discovered was a bug from leopard with the geforce 2mx kexts. i also saw i have to replace them with the tiger kexts, but im afraid of loosing quartz extreme. anyone has come across this problem? is there any solution? or replacing the kext will work?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I have the slightly newer iMac G4, the 17" with GeForceMX4 graphics, and I haven't had any problems running Leopard.

That said, replacing the kexts shouldn't lose Quartz Extreme, 10.4 had QE, too, after all.

3. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Sorry to be a nazi but isn't this a topic for the PowerPC guys?

4. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

i couldnt find ppc part of the forum, and as its from my mac collection i posted here

----------

well ill try that just gotta get my kexts from somewhere. i dont wanna loose the leopard install, any ideas on how to get the kexts?

5. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145

Enjoy! :D

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

At this point, G4 iMacs are collectors items, too...

7. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

thx u man, but i agree also with the other mate power pc is vintage at this time

8. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Maybe some of the early PowerPC models (i.e, pre-G3) But I wouldn't say an iMac G4 could be considered "vintage" just yet.

9. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, the first couple generations of iMac G4 can run Tiger tops "officially", which is about to be a full FIVE versions behind. That's pretty vintage. Even if you allow for Leopard, and don't count Mavericks yet, that's still three versions old. And it has now been seven and a half years since the Intel transition - and the iMac G4s were phased out just short of 10 years ago.

Sorry, the iMac G4 is definitely vintage now. And that's going by "collectors" status, not Apple's.

Apple defines anything older than five years, but less than seven years as "vintage", and anything older than seven years "obsolete". The iMac G4 is now firmly in "obsolete" status according to Apple.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Anything that can run any official version of OS X isn't "vintage" in my eyes, but maybe that's just my personal definition.

Perhaps Apple's (previous) designs are just that timeless. ;)

11. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

The 10.4.11 PPC Combo update has v1.4.18.21 of these kexts:

GeForce.kext
    GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle
    GeForce3GLDriver.bundle
    GeForceFXGLDriver.bundle
    GeForceGA.plugin
    GeForceVADriver.bundle

You may only need the GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle, which I assume is an OpenGL driver. Experimentation is probably required. - use caution.

You can extract them with Pacifist, save a copy of your 10.5 GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle, and replace it with the one from 10.4.11. Then do a permissions repair, delete the kernel caches and reboot.

Of course, it depends on what hooks there are into other frameworks, as to whether this would work.

The other alternative is to make sure it's not the screen saver cutting in after turning off the display and before sleep. There's a lot going on such as:

Screen saver activation
    Password entry on wake from sleep
    Screen dimming before sleep

Try disabling all of those first. Even conflicts like Bluetooth or Airport might cause it (if your machine has the hardware internal OR external) - some USB hubs don't wake from sleep correctly either.

The other work-around might be to disable sleep, but allow the display to turn off. Not the best but.... you get the idea.

12. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

thx man :) well i extracted the drivers from tiger dvd and replaced they worked but quartz didn't, maybe because the dvd isnt the last tiger version? the combo may fix it?

13. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Check the versions of the extensions. They're all v1.4.18.21 in 10.4.11, but I don't know WHEN that version was introduced.

It's could be an issue with the frameworks in 10.5 not working with the older driver. You may need to try different combinations of those extensions (ie some for 10.5 and some from 10.4) to get it working - if that's even possible! :eek:

You may also need to replace:

NVDANV10Hal.kext
    and just in case,
    NVDANV20Hal.kext
    NVDANV30Hal.kext
    NVDANV40Hal.kext
    NVDAResman.kext

But, again, you'll need to experiment. You're running an unsupported environment so you really are on your own.

14. mindingulove, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

well when i did that i replaced those kexts also, I'm going to try even force quartz by modifying apple.windows plist in s\l or adding the kexts from the combo instead of the dvd

edit none of this worked, quartz still disabled :( it says is unsupported but i have the geforce 2mx wich supports it

15. MacTech68, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

The quartz framework probably doesn't like the older driver.

I'm assuming you've updated to 10.5.8 ? I'm pretty sure 10.5.2 had the problem you've got but was fixed by an interim graphics update AND finally 10.5.3.

When you found the reference to replacing the Geforce kexts, which ones did it advise to replace? Do you have a link to that?

16. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

i got it here http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20071214143723301
    Fix the sleep issues by replacing the graphics drivers with the 10.4 drivers:
    Back up all of the GeForce* and NVDA* files in /System/Library/Extensions.
    Replace those drivers with the 10.4 files, ie. GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle, GeForce.kext, etc. Note that there is not a one-to-one relationship with each file.
    Change ownership of the files as follows:
    bash$ sudo chown -Rh root:wheel GeForce* NVDA*
    bash$ sudo chmod -R a+rX,u+w,go-w GeForce* NVDA

well the graphic pack only installed in 10.5.2. i downloaded it again but didint work on my ppc

17. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

So you DID update it to 10.5.8 ? The wake from sleep issue should have been fixed in 10.5.3 and later versions.

18. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

yes i updated to the latest version. the solution wud be installl all again?

19. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

You should try applying the 10.5.8 Combo Update:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL866

That should replace all those drivers.

Ultimately, I'm not sure what (if anything) will fix the problem.

Did you try the other suggestions?

20. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

i tried all the suggestions only replacing the kexts worked to sleep except from quartz extreme

21. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

well combo didn't work, get quartz back but no sleep

22. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

Hmm. It's all very odd.

Looking around google I've come across a couple of forums where the following seems common:

10.5-10.5.2 (inclusive) wake from sleep is a black screen

10.5.2 & Graphics Update = wake from sleep works but with video artifacts OR screen blanks a few seconds after.

10.5.3 - 10.5.5 problems are resolved.

Here are the versions of graphics drivers included with each combo update:

10.5.2 Graphics Update v1.5.24
    (Frameworks/OpenGL.fwk v1.5.6)

10.5.3,10.5.4 v1.5.28
    (Frameworks/OpenGL.fwk v1.5.6)

10.5.5 v1.5.30
    (Frameworks/OpenGL.fwk v1.5.7)

10.5.6 v1.5.36
    (Frameworks/OpenGL.fwk v1.5.9)

10.5.7 v1.5.44
    (Frameworks/OpenGL.fwk v1.5.10)

10.5.8 v1.5.48
    (Frameworks/OpenGL.fwk v1.5.10)

There is also an NVidia driver for 10.5.8 that is v1.5.49.0

http://www.nvidia.com/object/GeForce_MacOSX_18.5.2f16.html

The installer is setup to only install on MacPro towers, but you should be able to use Pacifist to force them onto your G4. Note that it installs Intel versions of some drivers and PPC versions with "...PPC" in the name of the driver. If you use this version, and want to back out of it, you'll need to MANUALLY remove the kexts and replace them with your previous versions.

You could also use Pacifist to forcibly install the drivers from 10.5.5, and/or other versions from the combo updates. Maybe Apple/NVidia broke the driver in 10.5.8 after having it working in 10.5.5 - I don't know if that's true or not!

I have no idea if any of this will work. Just what I've found.

23. mindingulove thread starter macrumors member

Thank You very much man, its golden now!!!!!! replaced opengl frameworks and all gforce kexts plus nvds. what u said might be true, the problem wont occur in 10.5.3-10.5.5.sleep issue has been fixed extracted files from 10.5.3 combo with pacifist. quartz extreme is working. i still got some artefacts on the graphics however, gonna try using 10.5.5 to see if it fix the bugs

24. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Never mind, the 17" apparently works out of the box.