iMac G4, Garageband 3, Horrible Feedback, No Input

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SkippyThorson, Aug 20, 2009.

1. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

So yet another issue in Skippy's PPC world. I go to plug in my guitar this morning, and an issue that's happened a couple other times that's been fixed happens. I get this loud screeching feedback fixed by selecting the guitar as the input.

Well, today, I tried that same thing, but my guitar doesn't work in Garageband as the line in, and there's no line in under System Preferences to select like there should be.

I called Apple, and the guy I got told me it may need to be looked at, after a few of his tricks of resetting PRAM or PMU (I forget which), unplugging misc. unneeded things, updating, restarting, etc. Well, calling the Apple Store in Syracuse, I got a guy that said it may be a bad connector or something.

He may need to order parts, and may need to keep it a while. On top of it being awkward to bring there and back, it is my main desktop... Im trying to avoid this. Any solutions, oh fellow MacRumorites?

2. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

~Bump~

So not one person had a solution to this, but this problem, just like my iBook, was also determined to be a software issue. It was booted off another system and line in worked fine. I waited around the mall for an hour or so while the system was reinstalled at the Apple store.

Well, when I get back, everything is just where it was on my system, but I had lost 10gb of space to something. Line-in also didn't work again either. I took it home and just restored off my Time Machine. So it's back to square one, though I have that 10gb back.

So. My question now. If I completely wipe it - Erase and Install - will it still recognize my Time Machine after an erase? Even if I don't keep the user settings? This desktop contains my life - I can't risk it. What's the best way to go about this one?

3. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

~bump-two~

Alright. I Archive & Installed, and the problem was there. I Erase & Installed, and the problem was there under 10.5.0, then updated to 10.5.8 and installed iLife '08... Previously had iLife '06; same issue.....

It seems basically limited to the jack, being a hardware issue of some sort, but is there a setting I'm missing in GarageBand itself? Maybe some sort of port cleaning trick? I'll let this thread die now if no one answers........ :rolleyes:

4. GaragebandGuy macrumors newbie

I ran into this same problem using ILife '08 and OSX 10.4. I tried uninstalls and reinstalls several times. I even used the terminal to make sure I got everything really trashed. Nothing worked!!!
    But once I upgraded to ILife 09 and OS 10.5 my problem disappeared. Good luck to you.

5. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I have Leopard and iLife '08 and '06. The problem persists after an Archive and Install, and an Erase and Install, under both versions of Garageband. At this point I'm so irritated I don't care - my buddy had the same problem but was fixed when he upgraded from Tiger to Leopard too. I think it's hopeless for me unless Apple releases some miracle update.