iMac G4, Good Deal? Buy it?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by pcb, Nov 8, 2009.

1. pcb macrumors member

pcb

Hi everyone,

Im looking for a little input from you all on a potential purchase. I am looking at a 15" iMac G4 to use as a iTunes machine to just stream iTunes to my laptop, and any other random tasks (email, papers).

I have a Macbook Pro so im not worried about it being a main computer.

I have always loved the design of this computer and that is part of why I am interested in it.

The specs are as follows
    700mhz
    256MB
    40gig
    Airport Card

Apple Pro Speakers and iSub
    Apple Pro mouse
    generic usb keyboard

The seller would like 110 cash for it

Is this a decent deal? Would you do it?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    pcb

2. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the deal seems to be allright , i would buy it for that price
    as its such a good deal (for my standards as i live in the uk where everything cost a bit more )

you could get some extra ram for it , for your needs as a itunes server and for a bit surfing and emails the 256 would do , but a bit more is never wrong and does not cost a lot

so get it before the seller changes his mind :D

3. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

110 what? dollars im guessing, then yeah that is a pretty good deal, it should do what ya want without any fuss at all :)

4. wesrk macrumors 6502a

As much as I like the imac G4, I wouldn't take it. Besides having it as a pretty machine sitting on my desk, and doing something that my 15" mbp can do in it's sleep, it won't do much and I simply don't have the extra space to have it just there.

If you want it though, take it. I've seen people advertise those on craigslist and they always want $250+ which is ridiculous for that 15" model, so $110 is certainly a good offer in comparison.

5. pcb thread starter macrumors member

pcb

I am definitely going to try to work on the price and get that down and try to trade some of my xbox 360 stuff for it that i never use anymore

6. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

For what it's worth I got an 800Mhz 15" iMac G4 for $135. I had to haggle a lot, this was 2 years back.

Specs were: 800MHz, DVD-ROM, 768MB RAM, No Keyboard, Mouse or Speakers. Had an AirPort card (But he didn't know it had one) and no Hard Drive (but I had one).

It depends on what the machine is worth to you. Maybe try and settle for $100? The worst they can do is say no. Good luck :)

7. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

I'd get it. $100 is what i paid for my 500Mhz iMac G3, I have a 1Ghz 17" model, but id even buy it at that price just for the sake of having it.

8. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

That's a very good deal IMO, much cheaper than eBay from my experience anyway!

You'll certainly need to up that RAM though, mine's slow with 512MB and it's a 800MHz!

9. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

768Mbs of RAM should be the bare minimum, i have it on my iMac G4 (1ghz 17") and it runs fine with leopard, its my main machine for movie editing (because my Mac Mini doesnt have a firewire 400 port) and browses the web (minus youtube) pretty fine.

10. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Yup, I'll probay up it to 1GB when I get the chance.

11. penter macrumors 6502a

penter

I was thinking of putting mine (same model as OP) for $100, but it seems to me like ppl would actually buy it for $250?

12. Archon Gold macrumors 6502

$250 is a huge ripoff for that model, I sold my iMac G4, 1Ghz, 17", Superdrive along with it's restore DVDs and keyboard/mouse for $200. I really miss it =[.

13. lacoste-rocker macrumors regular

lacoste-rocker

Yeah it seems like a good deal to me for $110

14. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

$110 seems like a fair price for what it is, but most people try to charge more because of it's aesthetics. This one is nicer than most considering it has an AirPort card and the iSub. I've seen them range from $60-$300. I paid $300 for my 15" 800 3 years ago. I got a 20" a few months ago for $75. It supposedly had a bad HD, but I narrowed it to bad RAM. HD might have been bad too, but I changed it before investigating.