iMac G4 help!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jirih, Aug 23, 2012.

1. jirih, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012

jirih macrumors newbie

I own a 20" iMac G4 with a 1.25GHz processor, 2GB RAM, 320GB hard drive, and running OS X 10.5.8 Leopard. It's pretty fast for being 8 years old but the only real problem I am having is playing videos with large dimensions. I tried playing a smaller video and it worked fine. I have repaired permissions, searched for different ways to optimize the os, deleted unnecessary items from the hard drive, tried different video formats, and different players such as VLC, Quicktime, and iTunes. The problem still persists. I have even tried youtube videos which seem to be able to play with less lag once I allow them to load.

Is it simply because I'm trying to play them on an older computer? If so, it doesn't make sense to me why youtube videos would be able to play better (do those only depend on internet connection?). I feel like I've tried all I can and I didn't know where else to ask.

2. potatis macrumors 6502a

potatis

I have the same computer but 17" and Tiger installed, which is faster on this computer. It can play 1280x720p material without problem as long as it's divX encoded and not AVC/h.264. I think YouTube videos are the latter.

3. jirih thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you, you helped me so much! I downloaded a divx converter and converted one of my videos and it played perfectly fine, even in 1080p! thanks again! :D

4. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

I use this for my videos: G4 optimised MPlayer
    You can use Mactubes for youtube but make sure to install Perian(for bettter quality video options) and set Quicktime(for better optimisation) as player.

PS: I got a big surprise when I found out it could stream 720p video from Youtube(on it's website and Mactubes) and other sites.