Imac G4 Help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by krypticos, Oct 2, 2008.

1. krypticos macrumors regular

hello i just got an iMac g4. i was trying to update to 10.4 it had 10.3.9 on it. well it was installing just fine then it stopped. all it says is "there were errors installing the software" down a little bit " please try installing again". so i did and same thing again so i am trying to go back to 10.3. again everything was going great then same error. what do i do. PLEASE!!!! help i just got this yesterday darnit. :(

2. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Try erasing the HD, the menu for 'Installer' will show 'Disk Utility'. Use it to erase the drive and try installing. Also, see if the DVD drive is working (the jjj-jjj) noise from time and time. Some drives sometimes stop working in the middle of an install.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

While you're in disk utility, make sure it says that SMART Status is "verified" at the bottom. Also make sure that when you're erasing your disk, you are creating a "MacOS Extended, Journaled (HFS+)" partition, or whichever option sounds closest to that.

4. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

ok well SMART is verified. but still getting this error. i have no clue. i have reformatted like 10 times and tried reinstalling the os like it says like 20 times with the 10.3 dvd i have and 10.4 dvd i have. i think i may try 10.2 for the heck of it after work tonight. please if anyone has ever had this problem how did you fix it.

5. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

o and i had just replaced the cdrom with a dvdrw a brand new dvdrw. but anyways under 10.3.9 that was on it before i started to upgrade to 10.4. it was working find burned and read dvds and everything just find. so i dont think it is the drive. im going to look at the installer log when i do it again tonight after work to see if it says anything different. ill try and post a picture of what it says. but if anyone has anything ill try it.

6. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

It can be the DVD player. Some drives are not bootable on Macs.

7. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

no the mac boots just fine with the and it goes to almost done down to like 14 min left and then it just gets the error i still. i still have not made it home to check the installer log to see what the main error is. ill have it here soon ok.

8. krypticos thread starter macrumors regular

well i tried 10.3 again and worked just fine so i guess im not going to go to 10.4 for a little while

thanks for all the posts