iMac g4 ideas needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mediamab, Jun 14, 2009.

1. mediamab macrumors member

Hiya guys

I'm looking at buying one of the beautiful iMac g4s! I love there design and however nice they look the 200 I spend on it I'd like to justify :)

Does any1 have any ideas for how it could be used in conjunction with my other macs? Any ideas appreciated!

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

What are you planning to do with it?

At this point, I wouldn't purchase a pre-Intel Mac at all. The G4s were good machines in their day, but other than basic tasks, aren't that great for modern computing needs. It might run Leopard, but it won't run Snow Leopard when it comes out this autumn.

3. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

What am I going to do with it is what I'm asking :)

I know it's pretty awful spec etc but I want one because I think they are a true design classic that said I don't want jus an ornament I want to make some use of it, even small!

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Without system specs, it's hard to make recommendations.

Use it for basic email and web surfing. Play music and movies. If the technology is good, you can stream your music from it. You can (possibly) stream video, though on a G4 that might be pushing it a little.

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

You can do just about anything you want with it, as long as you get the appropriate versions of the software. For instance, my 733 MHz PowerMac can run PS all day long without any problems or slowdowns. But I'm using CS1. This thing couldn't even get near CS4.

It all depends on the software.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Good reliable little machine. Runs Tiger very well. You can surf web, email, iTunes without it getting bogged down. I have maxxed out the ram and upgraded the HD in mine and it bought me a few more years. I still have it around and will occasionally use it to surf, boot into classic to run OLD games and look at old documents. I will keep it as my legacy machine until I have to bury it.

7. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

I'm not really thinking of using it as a machine to work on or as a standalone! I'm just trying to get ideas for using it "with" my current macs. Is there any advantages I can get from running it as some type of server? Is there any special iTunes server type software or something? Any ideas however whacky :)