iMac G4 insides

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bluestar14, Jan 24, 2010.

1. bluestar14 macrumors newbie

bluestar14

i have an iMac G4, when i turn it on, display flickers..and power led is steady, i know where the power cable for display is(inside the iMac) but what is the cable for the data, the image the screen shows?:)

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Also inside? I haven't poked around inside an iMac G4, but it's usually a flat ribbon-like cable.

3. bluestar14 thread starter macrumors newbie

bluestar14

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. bluestar14 thread starter macrumors newbie

bluestar14

could you find a pic of iMac G4(inside) on internet, circle the display cable, and show it to me?

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm not positive, but looking at the pics I found online, if I had to take I guess I'd say it's the cable connected to this port:

Attached Files:

• iMac.jpg
      iMac.jpg
      File size:
      421.6 KB
      Views:
  7. bluestar14 thread starter macrumors newbie

bluestar14

oh, i thought that was the speaker/fan power cable....maybe it isn't connected enough..

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You could be right. I'm just going on the pictures I could find online.

9. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

That's some funky engineering going on there.

I can see it now — we are going to build an insanely cool new iMac, but we'll need a logic board that is a perfect circle.

Engineers all role eyes.

“Ok Steve — right on it…”

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

It's been a while since I was inside one of those, but I'm pretty sure the one BlueRevolution has circled is correct, though different models do have somewhat different internal connectors.

There are essentially two ways to build a computer; you either have the engineers put together the components you want, then hand the box to a designer and say "make this look pretty", or you have the designer come up with a box and you hand that to the engineers and say "make the components fit."

Not saying either way is inherently better than the other, but Dell (and 99% of other PC manufacturers) do the former with the average desktop, while Apple always does the latter.

The former certainly gives you a cheaper computer, but most Apple fans will tell you which one is going to get remembered and proudly displayed years later.