iMac g4 just arrived.. Damaged (pic)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mat246, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Mat246 macrumors regular

So my g4 just arrived and its in perfect condition, except the screen is slightly tilted to the left and I'm worried that the arm is damaged. It feels abit loose around the base but I think the whole thing may be bent and want to know if anyone has advice, not sure if you can tell in the pic but it does lean to the left if I hold it with my hand it does go straight but won't hold, help please!

Attached Files:

2. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Turns out I have to remove the display loosen the back screws, adjust then tighten

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Good luck with it! They are such beauties! Have mine sitting in the living room, works great.

4. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah they are beautiful, this one needs some upgrades that il get round to at some point, just got to fix that annoying screen!

5. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

I always tear down and rebuild ANY used Mac I buy. They always come out 100% tighter and run cooler once I get it back together. Give it a shot and see what can be improved inside!

6. 0ranges macrumors newbie

I received an iBook G3 800mhz 12 inch in the mail and decided to upgrade everything + get a new trackpad and keyboard. I noticed almost every screw on the logic board was practically falling off :eek: (must have been swapped) It's always good to open them up to check I guess. Maybe someone tried to adjust your screen and didn't know what they were doing..

IDEA: Put a door stop under the slanted side..

7. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

Well these screens are known to tilt slightly to one side apparently, so i took a hex key and went to undo the screws under the screen. The Hex key actually snapped in the screw head and is pretty much flush now, so now i can't even take the screen off. I need some ideas on how to get it out without damaging anything. Using a temporary fix by shoving a bit of foam under one side of the base but i really want it done properly. Also there was a lot of dust in the base :p

8. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

Magnets? You could use a coctail stick and some superglue to get the hex key out.

9. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I've tried superglue on the end off the hex key and tried magnets, gonna have another I today. That screws so damn small.

10. mikeyrko macrumors member

I have just had the same thing happen to me what do I have to do to get this screen back to normal ?

11. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

Is your screen tilted?

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Could you just drill it out and replace the screw?

13. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't want to do that the screws so small I'd risk damaging something else, my last resort would be to get the smallest dremel I can find, and carefully cut a slit into the actual screw head so I could then take a flat head screwdriver and unscrew the screw, the worst that can happen then is a little damage to the case which wont be seen. Obviously this Is the last thing I want to do and I will keep trying everything I can before I do that.

14. mikeyrko macrumors member

Yeah looks just like the pic. But only when the arm is down I think the arm is twisting as it comes down.

15. Mat246 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm if the arm twists as it comes down it may start to seperate as mine did when i tried forcing to screen to straighten up, if your screen is perfectly straight when its raised then it may be the arm I'm not sure, if so you will need a replacement. You could always try to straighten the screen like i did if you don't mind taking things apart. I advise you to read the screen disassembly instructions in the service manual found on www.macmanuals.co.uk (the screen disassembly part is on page 84). After you remove the screen itself if you follow the instructions you will eventually get to just the back housing of the screen which will have 4 Torx 10 screws connecting it to the arm, loosen them enough so the housing moves and straighten it, maybe use a spirit level to get it exactly right. Then tighten it back up, don't do it too tight i think you need to leave a bit of give in the screen but do it so it stays in place. After that follow the service manual again to reconnect all the wires and put your screen back together. Ive tried to explain as clearly as possible but if further assistance is needed i can add to it. I advice to have the correct tools for this because its always easier to do so. Anyway hopes this helps you, if not hopefully it will others and if your arm is indeed bent i would recommend buying a new arm from eBay. The arm replacement is more complex but is also explained in the service manual.

16. mikeyrko macrumors member

Well the chrome pieces were not fit together right so I grabbed the arm and started twisting it and the pieces started to pop back into place now its ok.