Imac G4 & Linkseys wireless-b ethernet bridge wet11 ver2 difficulty and new to Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jason-St.Ives, May 26, 2008.

1. Jason-St.Ives macrumors newbie

Jason-St.Ives

Hi all, Im Very new to the world of Mac (& I love it allready) please can anyone help as Im having difficulty trying to connect my linkseys wireless - b ethernet bridge to my Imac G4, well more to the point my Mac dosnt know its there, I have plugged it into the back of the Imac and have two lights on on the bridge (im told three should be on) ive tried everything and at a loss now, Ive gone into settings and get a little lost, Ive tried to open a browser to prompt the wireless bridge settings but cant get them to speak, I have used both safari and Internet Browser and entered the numbers 192.168.1.225, but to no avail, sorry to be a luddite but im lost, any thoughts anyone

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You can try manually configuring your iMacs IP address to 192.168.1.200; subnet 255.255.255.0; router/gateway 192.168.1.225 then try connecting to your wireless bridge through your web browser at 192.168.1.225. Remember to hit apply. The settings are in the network pane of system preferences.

Then you can go about configuring the bridge for your network. One question why did you not just get a USB wireless adapter? I assume you are connecting through your ethernet port and 192.168.1.225 is the default IP address of your bridge.

3. Jason-St.Ives thread starter macrumors newbie

Jason-St.Ives

confused

Thank you for responding, I am still at a loss, I have looked at the network pane and a little confused as to how to config the Macs IP address , I go to network and then I am confronted with a page that instructs either built in ethernet or internal modum, where do I go from here? regards J

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

You state two led's are on and you should have three. Which ones are lit?

Power, LAN, WLAN, Diag

If the WLAN is not lit, your bridge is not communicating with your router.

On another note, you said you plugged the bridge into the iMac. You are talking about an ethernet cable, correct?

If this is the case, you are probably not talking to it because you have your Airport turned on and it is the default network interface being used. Temporarily, turn it off from the Airport menu. You will lose your internet connection, because it will switch over to ethernet. But this should allow you to communicate with your bridge. Just open Safari and in the url, type in 192.168.1.225. You can then configure the bridge.

But at the same token, unless the WLAN led comes on, it will not talk to your router and thus no internet connection. You can try reseting the bridge to factory defaults and see if this fixes the led problem.

If it does and you are going to use it, keep your airport off as you will use the bridge instead to communicate wirelessly.

5. Jason-St.Ives thread starter macrumors newbie

Jason-St.Ives

Thank you, just sussed this out (many thanks) I have just moved on a stage, The wireless bridge page is availiable now through the Web browser I now have to find my network, this is not happening (I still have only two lights on the bridge,pwr & lan, the wlan light is still off) any pointers??? J

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Either the bridge is out of range from the router, the wireless circuit in the bridge is dead, or your router's WLAN is not lit. Could be any of these reasons. I wouldn't suspect the router though as you have been communicating on the internet without the bridge (or you are using another computer).

7. Jason-St.Ives thread starter macrumors newbie

Jason-St.Ives

Hi, yes I have plugged it in with an ethernet cable, there dosnt appear to be an 'airport' or pointers to it I have searched through the finder and the only relevance for 'airport' is a set up facility (not Relevant) I have scanned wireless through the browser and linkseys set up but stuck again, (sorry) any suggestions J

8. Jason-St.Ives thread starter macrumors newbie

Jason-St.Ives

yes currently using another comp, J

9. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

On the Mac, go into System Preferences -> Network.

On the left side see if you see "Airport". If you do select it and check the box that says "Show Airport status in menu bar".

If you don't see it, then you don't have that option (airport card) installed.

10. Jason-St.Ives thread starter macrumors newbie

Jason-St.Ives

Thanks, definately NO airport, that established how do i get the wlan light on?

11. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

First, did you check your router for the WLAN led being lit? That's the first step. Report back...

12. Jason-St.Ives thread starter macrumors newbie

Jason-St.Ives

Do you mean my BT homehub if so I have a secure network and cant seem to find where to put this detail on my ethernet bridge for comms to take place, (so frustrated, sorry if I am acting Dumb) j

13. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I am not familiar with "BT homehub". What is the manufacturer, make and model number of it. I am referring to your router that connects to your cable/dsl modem. It should have some status led's on it, one being for WLAN (Wireless LAN).

Also you mentioned it is a secured network. How, WEP, WPA?

I need more information about it so I can search the web for it.

14. Jason-St.Ives thread starter macrumors newbie

Jason-St.Ives

Appreciate your patience, from the top, my broadband line comes into my house and connects to a BT home hub, from there I have a PC connected via a cable (which im on now) and then a wireless anntenae for which I connect a PSP, Laptop, internet radio stream, and now (hopefully) this linkseys wireless - b ethernet bridge which is connected to my (new addition) I Mac G4. I have had a breakthrough with the G4 opening up a browser to apparently 'see' (not sure ) the wireless - b ethernet bridge, as the set up page is now apparent, but stuck with the WLAN light beaing off, and the wireless - b ethernet not finding any BT Home hub that I have, any suggestions, many thanks J

15. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

I just sent you a private message. Please respond asap.