iMac G4 Linux

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by elektrobug, Jan 31, 2017.

1. elektrobug macrumors member

Does anyone know of a linux distro that will work right out of the box with the G4 iMac 1ghz? I tried a bunch and non work with the GeForce4 MX video. The only one I got working is Yellow Dog and their distro is less then optimal and I could not get AirPort Extreme wifi to work. Ive tried Mint, Ubuntu, Lubuntu. Any suggestions?

2. topbanana_ macrumors member

Lubuntu and Ubuntu Mate work more or less out the box for me (nVidia 6600 here) - the only thing I had to do was exactly whats in these instructions right after installing from the live DVD - https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/sol...tall-flashing-questionmark-g5-powermac/5782/5
    PLEASE NOTE : I am not dual booting into OSX!! (So cannot be responsible if you wipe your hard drive in the process....)
    For a G4 iMac I would tentatively suggest Lubuntu its lighter weight my RAM useage was about 4-500Mb. I've been flitting between the two and now back to MATE as it's prettier. Others here may have other suggestions :) Best of luck.

3. pochopsp macrumors 6502

pochopsp

I have a powermac MDD g4 1.25 ghz single core with an Ati Radeon 9000pro. I have managed to install through usb lubuntu 12 and ubuntu 10. It was slow and I couldn't get the graphic acceleration to work. there are a few videos on youtube in which someone managed to get the gpu working properly on their powerbooks and ibooks. check them. In my opinion only the very old versions (maybe ubuntu 6) could work with our ancient GPUs... If you want linux working well on PowerPC macs you should buy a G5

4. TzunamiOSX macrumors regular

iMac G4 1,25

I have installed Ubuntu Mate and it works ok after two little thinks (fixing muted audio and install wlan driver)

But with a NVIDIA card I don't get OpenGL 2.0 to work. Nouveau brings 2D acceleration and a rudimentary 3D acceleration but not enough for playing Quake3 for example.

5. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

If you're gonna play old games on it, you might as well stick with either Tiger or Leopard. Quake III Arena was a Mac OS X title back in the day, and should run way better than on any Linux distro for PowerPC, period.

6. dustinschings macrumors 6502

dustinschings

OP, short answer is no. And honestly, most people will agree I think, that after playing with Linux on your PowerPC for a short while, you will be reverting back to OS X Tiger/Leopard anyways. Its just better, for obvious reasons.