iMac G4 Mac OS 9 Issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by BlackFalcon448, Dec 26, 2011.

1. BlackFalcon448 macrumors member

I just picked up an iMac G4 today (17'', 800MHz). The computer came with OSX 10.2.8 and mac os 9 installed with 10 years worth of crap from the previous owner. I was planning on doing a clean install of tiger and os 9, but apparently you need a special version of os 9 for the G4.

The lady said she threw out the box for the computer after she got it, so I'm assuming the os install disks were in there because when I asked about them she gave me a :confused: face and said "what disks?".

So my issue here is I need the special iMac G4 version of OS 9 and I cant find it ANYWHERE. I've checked ebay, amazon and craigslist and I've come up with nothing.

I guess in the end I'm asking where I could get an OS 9 disk for this computer. Does anyone have any ideas?

(P.S. - I tried copying the system folder from a iMac G3 I have and the startup control panel in tiger recognized the system folder as bootable but it didnt work.)

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Could you create a new user and delete the old user and then upgrade the iMac from 10.2 to 10.4? That would get rid of "10 years worth of crap from the previous owner".

You should be able to get a replacement set of discs for the iMac by contacting Apple. I believe they charge something like $20-30 for shipping and handling, but would probably be your best bet.

3. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

im guessing your imac G4 is either 700 or 800MHz 7450?

it should be able to boot retail os 9.2.2

4. BlackFalcon448 thread starter macrumors member

I don't think Apple eve made a 9.2.2 disk for retail. I have the 9.2.1 version which of course doesn't work.

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Make sure the G4's disc has the OS 9 drivers installed. When the drivers are install on the boot drive and a suitable Mac OS 9 startup folder is put on it, it should boot. The startup folder from the G3 will work, pending that it is 9.2.2.