Imac G4 - not booting

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by redhatcode29, Aug 4, 2014.

1. redhatcode29 macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Hi Guys,

Just a couple of hours ago, i snatched the below iMac G4 1.0Ghz. It was a faulty set. Last year i missed a fully functioning set. Took a year to come across another iMac G4. So i ddnt bother if it was faulty !

# When it is switched on, i can hear the fans spin, can't hear any sort of HD spin though.

# nothing in the screen too.

# I've never peaked into a iMac G4, so, before i begin,,, any guides, do's and dont's would be appreciated.

# if its goin to be the logic board, hmm, then, it will be a paper weight for time being. But, how do i define if its the logic board..

# if there are any exisisting similar threads, kindly point it out..

Cheers.

Attached Files:

2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I've never owned or worked on the G4 iMacs, but here is the service source docu for the usb 2.0 models. It should help you out with disassembly and testing.

3. jaydennz macrumors member

4. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Hi, thanks for your reply and the link. I will check it out.

----------

Hi, not solved huh....dear, I hope there is some hope!

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

search on youtube and ifixit for iMac G4 teardown/upgrade videos....there are a lot out there....after watching a few I had no problems opening up and upgrading both an 800MHz and a 1.25 GHz model....but I've also been building/repairing PCs for over 20 years.

6. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Hi thanks for your reply.

Ifixit, true i had once depended on that site for a Powermac. U tube will have a lot of those... i was trying my luck here, if anyone had a similar situation as mine and had fixed it.

Will check it out.......ahhh u managed to fix yours huh. Good for you! But i guess the experience you have is certainly a plus point.

7. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

I just took a look at the Dropbox link which u gave, it seems to be a very good guide...200 pages !

Thank you so much.:D

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I didn't have to fix mine per-se, they were both in working condition. For the 800MHz I upgraded the RAM to 1GB (max it'll take) and replaced the existing HDD (5400RPM 60GB??) with a 7200RPM 120GB drive. For the 1.25 GHz I max'd the RAM to 2GB, replaced the PRAM battery, and replaced the spinning HDD with a SSD. While the cases were open I took the opportunity to clean out a decade worth of dust. Make sure if you take them apart you have thermal paste on hand....you'll need to clean off the old paste and re-apply new before buttoning them up or they'll overheat.

9. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Ic,,,

* Yeah the dust, i can already see that mine is full of it ..ha ha
    * about applying the thermal paste, this is for the processor right..
    * i thought that the processor was soldered to the mobo for this model (not sure though)
    * either way ill have to be extra careful when i disassemble it...just hope i can rectify the issue..
    * will be needing more guides...:D

Thanks..

10. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

No, it is used to reseal the 2 heat pipes.

11. redhatcode29 thread starter macrumors 6502

redhatcode29

Oh! Ok,...