Imac G4 "option Key"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by moneyaffiliated, Jan 12, 2011.

1. moneyaffiliated macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2011
    Hey everyone : ) I am new to this forum I just purchased my first ever Imac it's a G4 Model. 800mhz with a 80 gig hard drive I think it's the 17"inch for $30.

Well I am all excited to turn it on and use it then I get a grey screen with a folder with icons blinking in the inside. : (

The CD drive keeps on popping out also I push it in then 3 seconds later it pops right out.

I then restarted the Imac and pushed down the "option" key and it took me to another screen with a refresh icon and a right arrow icon.

Any ideas on how to get this bad boy up and running? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
  2. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    You are going to need a System Disc to put into the CD/DVD Drive. You will likely be able to run 10.4 or 10.5. Once inserted, hold the C key while it is booting, then go through the installation process, then you should be all set. Then again, it may not even have a hard drive, which you will need to have installed to be able to install the OS.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

Jan 18, 2005
    Your computer can't find an operating system installed. Either the drive has been wiped and you need to re-install OS X or you may have a problem with the drive itself.

Try booting from a sytem disk. OS X 10.4 is the latest that system will run (at least without hacking it around a bit).
  4. Winni macrumors 68030

Oct 15, 2008
    Technically, 10.5 Leopard will also work on this machine, but it will be crawling instead of running. I had to remove it from my wife's 17" iMac G4 1 GHz 1 GB RAM because it was unbearably slow (even as a fresh installation). 10.5 Leopard really was Apple's "Vista".