iMac G4 or G5 for Garageband use and possible Vlogging?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UltimaLink, Aug 5, 2010.

1. UltimaLink macrumors regular

Hey guys. I currently own a PC and I am considering getting an iMac G4 or G5 for garageband use so my upcoming animated series. I'm leaning toward the iMac G4 for the fact it looks as good as it does. I can easily add more ram and I won't need that big of an HDD since I'll be saving everything to an external one so I can use the songs on my PC. The G4 iMac costs less too. All I'm worried about though is which would work better for what I'm trying to do. I can always save up a bit more for the iMac G5.

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Get an Intel MacMini, preferable any kind of dual core. Costs just a little more, is as fast or faster and suites your needs. You already own Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse.
    The new aluminum MacMini is as fast as a PowerMac G5. The previous generation with 9400m graphics will be fine for you.

3. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

iMac G4/5 aren't exactly right for doing any kind of productivity work, nowadays they're just used as itunes or browsing units.

I agree with getting a new Mac mini.

4. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

GarageBand could theoretically run on a PowerMac G5, but it would be limited in the number of simultaneous tracks that could run. Any effects processing (delay, reverb) or Software Instruments (i.e. softsynths) would heavily tax the CPU. A G4 would have an even tougher time, provided you could get the necessary level of OS running on it; I doubt you could run more than one audio effect or softsynth at a time on a G4 without risking audio dropouts. (I like the G4's external design too-- it's truly iconic-- but the PowerPC processor line is well past its heyday.)

You say you want something strong enough to do multitrack audio for a video project. If you're wanting to preview the audio "live" in sync with the video footage, you will definitely want something beefier. As Giuly said, a Core2Duo-based Mac mini, even the previous generation, will work very well even with multiple tracks.

5. UltimaLink thread starter macrumors regular

The only problem with the MacMini though is that I only have one Monitor, one keyboard, and one mouse. I might be able to use an old monitor I can find, but I need a keyboard and mouse. I configured it and it's 817$(I'll also want to buy extra ram and add it so I have 4 gigs, so that will add some) but is it really worth it?

Though, I know the person that owns the apple store near me, could he cut me a deal on the older mac mini, a keyboard and mouse?

6. MCRunning macrumors 6502

How would we know :confused:

7. UltimaLink thread starter macrumors regular

Just wondering if anyone knows if they're allowed, or if they've been in a similar situation.

8. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

That what the Mini is all about. Use your current keyboard, mouse and monitor at first, you just need to disconnect and reconnect every time you switch the machines. You can do daily stuff on the Mini just fine, most people only boot Windows for gaming. Did you know already that an Intel-Mac runs Windows natively?
    Or, if you feel like spending money later, get an Apple aluminum (or previous-gen acrylic) keyboard. Any time after that, get a Magic Mouse or any other if you don't like it - or a Magic Trackpad. Then get a $150 24" monitor. Then you have two complete computers over time.

And get the Mini either from the refurbish store (you need to keep an eye on it every now and then, the deals change often), on eBay or Craigslist.

8GB of DDR3-RAM cost $240 on NewEgg, 4GB about $130. Don't order it from Apple, do it yourself. There are step-by-step manuals on iFixit.

9. UltimaLink thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, thanks for the guide. It might be a tab annoyance to switch between the mini and my PC though, and yes I know the mini can dualboot windows, but my PC has an i5 quad core, 1 terrabyte hard drive and I built it a month ago, I'm not going to get rid of it for a mac mini with a dual core processor.

Thanks for the advice though. I'll probably either go with the mini then. Again, thank you.