iMac G4 or Intel iMac - Decisions Decisions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SkippyThorson, Oct 29, 2008.

1. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

I posted this exact thing on an IGN forum as well. Thought I would try here too. :)

Alright. I have a predicament. I've been longing for an Apple desktop, but I'm in college and don't really want to spend too much money. I also don't need the latest and greatest and am perfectly happy with used or refurbished.

My favorite computer of all time, hands down, is the sunflower styled iMac G4. I never got it though, and I sort of regret it now. It's a beautiful machine and I just have to own it one day regardless of how outdated it will be come 2015. Odd, yes. I like the white plastic iMacs too, at the start of Intel, with the Jay Leno chins. Not nearly as much as the G4, but still.

Lately I've been on eBay going for the G4s - they go for about $400 and the Intel Core Duos or Core 2 Duos go for $600 to $800. I don't care how fast it works as long as it works. I have a 1.33ghz iBook G4 so am aware of the kinds of speeds a G4 iMac would hit at 1.25ghz. I would like Leopard either way, and I'd upgrade the ram if I got the G4.

What are the positives or negatives to getting the G4 or any of the first Intel ones, and what outweighs what in that contest? Which one would you go for and why? Which one should I get?

2. mBurns macrumors 6502

If you want a good looking iMac that will be realistically useable for years to come, get one of the 24" White iMacs. Those wills last you a lot longer then a G4. Apple is moving away from PPC more and more. Most people say Snow Leopard will NOT run on PPCs. Do you really want to lay down $400 for your main machine which right after you buy it, won't be able to run the next apple OS. The prices will tank on PPC once Snow Leopard comes out and doesn't run on PPC. Wait until after Snow Leopard to sink money into a G4. I think it's stupid not to spend the extra $200 to go Intel.. you'll prob regret it later. I do understand the allure of the beautiful PPC Macs (I have a Cube but it's an extra machine -- not my main and I got a great deal on it).

3. SkippyThorson thread starter macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

That makes great sense, I never thought of it that way, thanks!

If Snow Leopard truly does drop PPC 100% then the prices will definitely drop - and if there's one thing I like it's cheap and if there's another thing I like it's that G4. Awesome idea, surprised I never even considered that. :)

I would regret not being able to take full advantage of Snow Leopard too. Good points.

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

It's nice to have a nostalgic item, or something you appreciate from a design standpoint. But also consider how quickly it will wear off after staring at that Beach Ball every time you want to perform a relatively mundane task.

I 2nd waiting on the G4, and grabbing a C2D as a main puter, then grab the G4 once prices go down. (they won't be going up - for at least a few years)

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

I wanted to get a 20" iMac G4 and all, would've loved to, but nowadays I really dunno. My nostalgic buy was a G4 MDD (and accompanying 20" cinema display) I found on ebay NEW and cheap back in march/april.

[the black pro keyboard is still in the wrapper, I didn't have the heart to use it]
    :D

Would've been nice to get one of those aluminum iMacs but they cost a lot more than the amount of $$ I had at the time.