iMac G4 or Powermac G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rollershapple, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Rollershapple macrumors regular

So I have to decide on a new computer due to my ibook's logic board acting up. So I have two people, one person is selling a powermac g4 for $300 which specs are as follows,

Dual 800Mhz processors,
    SuperDrive,
    1.5GB ram,
    Quicksilver
    80GB HD
    iLife '06
    And the other person is selling an iMac G4 for $350 with these specs,

1.25 GHz,
    Superdrive,
    256mb ram,
    80gb hd,
    17" display
    iLife '05.

So what do you guys think? I dont have an external display, or keyboard. I'd be using either of these for audio production, some photo editing, web surfing... Im in a pickle. They each have something over they other. So for what I want out the machine I chose, which do you guys think would be better for me?

2. iWillard macrumors regular

iWillard

PowerMac G4. 100%.

Cost/Hassle of upgrading Ram on the iMac = price of external display & keyboard...

PM is still really expandable, too... iMac is all it's gonna be...

3. Rollershapple thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I was thinking, but where am i going to find a lcd display for $50 or so?

4. iWillard macrumors regular

iWillard

eek... For $50 it'd have to be used or have something horribly wrong with it... :p

Buuuuuuut, you think to upgrade the iMac to 1.25 GB ram (you want at least a Gig for Garageband, and it's 256 right now, which is the built in, and one open slot for a gig) it'd be about $100 or so... plus having to install it... which is closer to a decent display... Lots of nice ones for $130-50 out there...

5. Rollershapple thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I would be using garage band as much as cubase and maybe reason. I think id like to go with the PM but the imac is just such a beautiful machine! hah but so is the Quicksilver...