iMac - G4 OS upgrade problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by woodburyboy, Jan 27, 2013.

1. woodburyboy, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

woodburyboy macrumors newbie

Ok...so after 30 years of working with PC's, I get smitten by the looks of the iMac G4 and buy one off eBay. Its lovely in all respects. I adore the white dome and the chrome swinging arm. I've never owned an apple computer before but now I wish I'd done this years ago. The Spec:

700MHz
    DVD-RW
    512Mb
    OS X 10.1.5 currently installed
    15"

I've aquired a DVD for OS X 10.4. I boot up from the DVD while holding the C key down and I get the apple log in the cenre of the screen with the small revolving wheel/fan directly below. So far so good...but that's all that happens, the wheel just continues to revolve for about half an hour before I give up and turn off.

I have owned this iMac for about a week now and all I've done is played with it and taken it apart to change the CD-RW for a DVD-RW and upgrade the internal 128Mb of memory to 512Mb (2x256Mb).

Can anyone guide me as to why this upgrade is not working? Is it the 700MHz or maybe that it requires 1Gb of memory....Thanks for any help.

Mark

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Tiger should work on that machine without a problem. The DVD, is it a retail or a restore disc? The retail discs are black and the restore discs are grey.

3. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Instead of pressing C, press Option. Select the DVD and press Command+V. It will tell you what's the problem. I guess that you'll see lots of read errors and you have a defective DVD.

4. woodburyboy thread starter macrumors newbie

ok...thanks both for the rapid reply.

I've held the Option key down from start up (I take it the option key is the 3rd one in from the left, bottom row with the apple icon on it? Sorry, thats how little I know about these beautys) and it does the same...boots to the Apple logo, gray screen, revolving wheel/fan directly below.