iMac G4 Protective casing

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mvkVirtual, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mvkVirtual macrumors regular

Hi all. I am going to donate my mint condition iMac G4 to a family member. My only worry is that because she smokes allot, the case will become browned from its near new condition. Is there any products such as cases out there to protect the imac? I have not been able to find any. Thanks :)

2. drewdle macrumors regular

I've never seen one, but I suppose one could be fabricated. A reverse tea cozy, essentially! Not sure what you'd do for the LCD back panel however. Maybe cover it in that InvisibleShield stuff?

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

its easier to tell your relative to stop smoking in the same room as the imac

i take my eMac regular apart and wash it with water and washing up liquid as i smoke like a chimney ,so once a month is bath time for the eMac (same material as the iMac )
    ok i am a big fan of taking things apart on a regular basis anyway and know every part inside the eMac as i clean them too inside with WD 40 and q-tips , so my eMac looks always like it came fresh out of the factory

4. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

agreed with machamster. Just tell her to not smoke in the imac room. it will minimize casing damage a lot. :D

5. mvkVirtual thread starter macrumors regular

Its not as easy as that. At the computer is the main place she does smoke. I appreciate your ideas, but that just will not work. Looks like I will have to find another solution!

6. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Go on Craigslist.com and find her a cheap $100 PC :D. It's not really the outside of the case that you should be concerned about, I'd worry about the insides as well since there is a fan in it and it will just pull the smoke though the insides.

7. mvkVirtual thread starter macrumors regular

Well I give up then. She was going to make the switch from PC because she keeps getting viruses. If I wipe the HDD in her pc completely and install Ubuntu we should be safe?

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes but i would suggest to give here" linux mint"(ubuntu based) , its easier for a switcher from windows to understand and comes with nearly everything needed ready to go and if you are into fiddling with software then you could give it the look of osx leopard , not even steve jobs would notice the difference at first glance :D