iMac G4 Ram issue

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Estes, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Estes macrumors member

I searched here and googled this and can't seem to find any answer anywhere so hopefully someone in here knows.

I have a three iMac G4s a 15" 800Mhz, a 17" 1Ghz, and 17" 1.25Ghz. The 1.25 had one stick of 512MB RAM on the inside slot (I can't remember the technical name; it's the one that requires taking more than the plate off to get to) so I decided to take a 256MB stick out of the bottom of the 1Ghz and place it in the 1.25Ghz to speed it up a little. Well, it doesn't read it. I know it works (because it works in the other one) and I know it's seated correctly, so what does this mean? Is there any way to test to see if the slot doesn't work? I know they both take the same kind of RAM (according to OWC at least).

I was going to upgrade both to 2GB but now I'm leery to order any until I know there isn't some big issue with the 1.25Ghz one.

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Both use DDR RAM but 1.0 uses PC2100. 1.25 requires PC2700 minimum.

3. Estes thread starter macrumors member

I feel a little stupid now. I knew they could both use the same, but I forgot to think about the possibility of the 1Ghz shipping with less. That's probably what's wrong.