Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I believe what I am hearing is the coil whining. Coil whine happens in coils that have tons of hours on them and the insulation that covers them wears off so the vibrations of the coil can be heard (or so ive read.) All coils would whine if they had no insulation on them, apparently (again, so ive read.)

I plan to open up the old one and peek around it. If I dont find any bulging caps, I figure I could order some coil specific insulation glue and coat a few things inside of it, and hang onto it as a spare.

I would just want to keep a spare even if you don't do any repairs to it.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
A good used power supply and a good used optical drive are on the way!

When those arrive and I get a few mins to install them both, this 2006 iMac will basically be fully refurbished minus the hard drive- which is still currently working perfectly fine.

Excited for the power supply, even though mine works perfectly fine. Coil whines are SO annoying when they get loud.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
What a pain to work on, but all replaced!

Its nice to have a fully functional optical drive!

Also it seems the power supplies for these iMacs must have a problem with coil whine when powered off. Even my replacement PSU has a coil whine to it... Its not quite as loud as my original one, but I sure can hear it.

catzilla

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2013
Rhode Island
What a pain to work on, but all replaced!

Its nice to have a fully functional optical drive!

Also it seems the power supplies for these iMacs must have a problem with coil whine when powered off. Even my replacement PSU has a coil whine to it... Its not quite as loud as my original one, but I sure can hear it.

Well, when you get older the PS's get quieter. Or it might have something to do with 28+ years of the sirens wail...

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Just wanna say, this old iMac has been stupidly rock solid. Been using it almost every day watching shows, or when I don't want to use my mac pro for light day to day stuff. It can do 720p on YouTube, and 1080p video files (not on YouTube)

If any of you want a cheap intel imac keep your eyes peeled for a 1.83 core2duo with the intel GMA 950 graphics chipset.

GraniteTheWolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 31, 2013
Wisconsin
Just upgraded yet again. Bought from the same eBay seller named "maven_technologies"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381082534403?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

~250 for a $450-500 iMac!

Any of you guys looking for a great deal on a mac with no OS installed these guys do great business.

I sold my old 2006 one to a friend for $100 and picked up this early 2009 one.

Also while I waited for my 2009 to come in the mail, I pulled out my G4 iMac and installed Tiger on it. Much faster then Leopard! Leopard wasent a slouch on it, but Tiger has this snappyness that cant be matched on the old iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.