iMac G4 that wants to be powered on again

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ygv2000, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ygv2000 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I have a great shape iMac G4 (the 15", 700MHz model) that is refusing to power back on. It was working perfect till a few thunderstorms and I guess it is related.

Pressing the iMac's power button doesn't feedback in any way - no sound, no lights, no screen, no fans, just absolutely no feedback. This led me to think the problem is the power supply unit. I want to fix it myself but after finding out that part could cost up to a 100$, I'd like to make sure that this is actually the problem.

Do any of you guys have any knowledge to share of how I could be sure that the power supply is the actual broken part?

Thanks a lot!!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There's really no good way to make sure the power supply is actually the dead thing. But, in most cases like the ones you are describing a dead power supply is the problem. Have you tried resetting the PMU?

3. ygv2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, tried, nothing. Also did some voodoo whispering while doing that. Still nothing :(
    You're probably right there's no way to be sure. But - can you think of anything else? (except, well... the logic board...)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Where are you searching for a new power supply from?

5. ygv2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

My first try was to look on ebay. I live in Israel so I need a supplier that sends worldwide.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your location could be a problem to getting one cheaply. May I suggest also looking for a complete G4 iMac? You may be able to get a better one for a smaller price than just a power supply. But if you get a whole iMac just for the power supply, make sure you get the same model.

7. ygv2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

You're probably right. Bummer.
    Well, I'll try to look for a wandering old iMac, or a cheap bargain on the power supply unit.

Thanks anyway friend!